David Bremner writes: > > > The following "fixes" this test failure. This suggests to me something > that only fails when notmuch-show-buttonise-links is called from the C > redisplay code, and not when it's called from lisp. The last paragraph of https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20146#47 made a lightbulb turn on over my head. I _think_ the problem is that that fontification expects to be called with the whole message, but jit lock really doesn't guarantee that. If you run the attached test with emacs25, you see the list of calls (in tmp.foo/MESSAGES) fontifying from 1 to 501 fontifying from 1 to 1 fontifying from 62 to 69 fontifying from 494 to 516 fontifying from 187 to 189 fontifying from 195 to 197 fontifying from 198 to 200 fontifying from 210 to 212 fontifying from 214 to 216 fontifying from 226 to 228 fontifying from 230 to 232 fontifying from 586 to 588 and lots more, but the point is many of them are not the whole messages, which would allow buttons to be created out of partial matches