On 2010-09-22, Rob Browning wrote: > In general, I think that until/unless notmuchsync can be more assured of > doing the right thing, and in particular, if the deleted tag is likely > to become official, notmuchsync should default to not setting it. > ...or at least, I'd prefer that. Then I can add --tag-deleted if/when I > want to. Of course defaulting to --tag-deleted would also be OK, as > long as there's a --no-tag-deleted. notmuchsync does not want to delete anyones' e-mails by accident and although I believe that syncing the "deleted" tag should usually be safe, I can think of situations with multiple copies of a mail where things could go wrong. I therefore disabled syncing of the maildir flag "trashed" and the notmuch tag "deleted" by default. It has to be explicitly be enabled with the new --sync-deleted option. Sebastian ------------------------------------------------------------------ For reference, this could be a szenario where things turn out bad: - Send a mail with FCC to your Sent folder and BCC yourself. You have then 2 mail copies with the same mail id (1 notmuch entry) - "Expire" your BCC copy via some mail/webclient, it gets maildir flag "T" - notmuch --revsync will examine new mails and in case the BCC copy is what notmuch points to, notmuchsync will then add the notmuch tag "deleted" to that mail id. - notmuchsync --prune deletes the BCC mail copy but does not remove the "deleted" tag in the notmuch db (it probably should for safety reasons). - 'notmuch new' will now recognize the BCC copy as removed and point to the "Sent/FCC" copy as the current file, but it still carries the "deleted" tag for the mail. - notmuchsync --prune will happily delete your Sent/FCC copy of the mail, or notmuchsync --sync will mark your Sent/FCC copy with the "expired" maildir flag.