* Folders to tags
@ 2010-11-25  5:48 Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2010-11-25  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I'm about to do my initial maildir import in to notmuch and I'm wondering
how people have dealt with the initial transition from maildir folders to
tags.  Many of my folders can be replaced by saved searches, but I would
like to convert the ones that don't make good searches into tags.

Ideally, notmuch would let me search by maildir folder, which would have the
added advantage of keeping things in sync going forward.  Unfortunately,
this looks difficult to support (possibly to the point of requiring a custom
query parser to do it efficiently).

I could extract all of the message ID's from the messages in these folders
and run a big notmuch tag command, but this sounds slow and potentially
error-prone.

Are there good solutions to this problem?

* Re: Folders to tags
@ 2010-11-25  6:57 ` Sebastian Spaeth
From: Sebastian Spaeth @ 2010-11-25  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:48:17 -0500, Austin Clements wrote:
> Ideally, notmuch would let me search by maildir folder, which would have the
> added advantage of keeping things in sync going forward.  Unfortunately,
> this looks difficult to support (possibly to the point of requiring a custom
> query parser to do it efficiently).

Carl was saying that this would be implemented *really* soon now, so I
have high hopes that it will work very soon indeed.

Sebastian

* Re: Folders to tags
@ 2010-11-28 19:50   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2010-11-28 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Spaeth, notmuch

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:57:08 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian@SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:48:17 -0500, Austin Clements wrote:
> > Ideally, notmuch would let me search by maildir folder, which would have the
> > added advantage of keeping things in sync going forward.  Unfortunately,
> > this looks difficult to support (possibly to the point of requiring a custom
> > query parser to do it efficiently).
>
> Carl was saying that this would be implemented *really* soon now, so I
> have high hopes that it will work very soon indeed.

Does this mean I can use my good old sieve scripts to sort my mails now
?

/Xavier