On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:11:47 +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote: > Ah, of course, right... Yet, won't yours -- id:\"[^ ]+\" -- match too > much in this example: > > Bla, bla, see id:"some@thing"--"some famous quote" is bla. > > How about this one? id:\(\"?\)[^[:space:]"]+\1 You're right, that isn't recognized correctly. According to RFC 822, the domain part of a message id (which is just "<" addr-spec ">", where addr-spec is the syntax for normal mail adresses) may contain double quotes and any other characters if they are escaped with a \. I think however, that we don't have to handle all those corner cases in a feature that is merely for convenience, such as this. In conclusion I think we should allow non-quoted id:..-links, but not worry about people having escaped spaces or things like that in their domain parts. What do you think? Cheers, Daniel