* starting release process for 0.31
@ 2020-08-16 15:16 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-08-16 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I've tagged the first release candidate for 0.31 (0.31_rc0), and
uploaded signed tarballs to the usual place [1].

We need to sort out NEWS, and possibly add one or two small patches
before final release of 0.31

[1]: https://notmuchmail.org/releases/

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: starting release process for 0.31
@ 2020-08-18 11:27 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-08-18 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> I've tagged the first release candidate for 0.31 (0.31_rc0), and
> uploaded signed tarballs to the usual place [1].
>
> We need to sort out NEWS, and possibly add one or two small patches
> before final release of 0.31

Did the same for rc1. Mainly this fixes a silly copy-paste bug in
T590-libconfig

@ 2020-08-18 11:45   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-08-18 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> I've tagged the first release candidate for 0.31 (0.31_rc0), and
>> uploaded signed tarballs to the usual place [1].
>>
>> We need to sort out NEWS, and possibly add one or two small patches
>> before final release of 0.31
>
> Did the same for rc1. Mainly this fixes a silly copy-paste bug in
> T590-libconfig

That should be T562-lib-database. Sigh. And I made the same mistake in
debian/changelog.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-08-22 13:04     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-08-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Here's a lightly edited output from git shortlog to jog your collective
memories. Please send patches for NEWS for any non-trivial user visible
changes.

David Bremner (125):
      test: add known broken test for error handling on closed database
      lib: catch error from closed db in n_m_get_message_id
      lib: migrate to post Xapian 1.3.4 compact support
      lib: migrate from Xapian ValueRangeProcessor to RangeProcessor
      test: drop upgrade from v1 tests
      lib: add regression test for n_m_get_date; clarify API
      doc: replace use of environment variables with a generated config
      doc: add new python bindings to main documentation tree.
      lib: catch exceptions in n_m_get_flag, provide n_m_get_flag_st
      lib: add notmuch_message_has_maildir_flag_st
      cli/new: replace newly deprecated n_m_has_maildir_flag
      test: add regression test for n_m_maildir_flags_to_tags
      test: add broken test for n_m_remove_all_tags
      lib: handle xapian exception in n_m_remove_all_tags
      lib: fix return value for n_m_reindex
      lib: move deallocation of memory from n_d_close to n_d_destroy
      lib/n_d_get_version: catch exceptions and clarify the API
      lib: convert relative filenames to absolute in n_d_index_file
      lib: replace use of static_cast for writable databases
      build: upload html docs as part of release process
      lib: return NULL from n_d_get_default_indexopts on error
      lib: catch exceptions in n_directory_get_child_directories
      lib: catch exceptions in n_directory_get_child_files
      lib: fix return value for n_directory_delete

Jonas Bernoulli (38):
      test: Deal with Emacs 27 switching to lexical scope by default
      test: Remove misguided emacs testing utilities
      test: Explicitly state that we want to sign with sender
      emacs: Extend face to window edge again
      emacs: Fix some function declarations
      emacs: notmuch-poll: Let the user know we are polling
      emacs: Improve doc-strings
      emacs: Autoload notmuch-jump-search only once
      emacs: Autoload notmuch-jump using an autoload cookie
      emacs: Use cl-incf where appropriate
      emacs: Remove notmuch-setq-local
      emacs: Remove notmuch-read-char-choice
      emacs: Drop old advices that were only need for Emacs 23
      emacs: Do not abuse advice to monkey patch while testing
      emacs: Use new advice mechanism do advice mm-shr

Jonas Witschel (1):
      doc: make gzipped man pages reproducible

Sean Whitton (2):
      emacs: notmuch-search: avoid wiping out buffer-local variables
      emacs: Use pop-to-buffer-same-window rather than switch-to-buffer

Teemu Likonen (3):
      Emacs: Ensure left-to-right display for message headers
      Emacs: Indent first header line only when indentation is turned on

William Casarin (3):
      emacs/tree: introduce notmuch-tree-parent-buffer variable
      emacs/tree: enable moving to next thread in search results
      emacs/tree: add notmuch-tree-archive-thread-then-next

Đoàn Trần Công Danh (3):
      configure: check for pytest with python -m pytest
      configure: drop check for default xapian backend
      T355: specify hash algorithm explicitly\r

* Last call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-08-29 12:27       ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-08-29 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Here's a lightly edited output from git shortlog to jog your collective
> memories. Please send patches for NEWS for any non-trivial user visible
> changes.

I've sent a couple of patches [1] for things that stood out to
me. Please send me anything you think I missed ASAP; I'd like to release
the (hopefully) final release candidate tommorow.

[1]: id:20200829122310.801682-1-david@tethera.net, id:20200829122310.801682-2-david@tethera.net

* Re: Last call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-08-30 11:34         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-08-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
> I've sent a couple of patches [1] for things that stood out to
> me. Please send me anything you think I missed ASAP; I'd like to release
> the (hopefully) final release candidate tommorow.

I've tagged 0.31~rc2, and uploaded to notmuchmail.org and debian
experimental.

@ 2020-09-01  8:13           ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2020-09-01  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

Hi David,

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>>
>> I've sent a couple of patches [1] for things that stood out to
>> me. Please send me anything you think I missed ASAP; I'd like to release
>> the (hopefully) final release candidate tommorow.
>
> I've tagged 0.31~rc2, and uploaded to notmuchmail.org and debian
> experimental.

I have started seeing consistent test failures with rc2 on ppc64 and
ppc64le:
- on both platforms "get total messages with closed database" from
  T568-lib-thread fails
- on ppc64 "comparing existing to exported symbols" from
  T360-symbol-hiding fails as well

See:
https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/home:dancermak:branches:devel:libraries:c_c++/openSUSE_Factory_PowerPC/ppc64/notmuch/_log
and
https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/home:dancermak:branches:devel:libraries:c_c++/openSUSE_Factory_PowerPC/ppc64le/notmuch/_log

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Cheers,

Dan

@ 2020-09-01 13:19             ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-09-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák; +Cc: notmuch

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>>
>>> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>>>
>>> I've sent a couple of patches [1] for things that stood out to
>>> me. Please send me anything you think I missed ASAP; I'd like to release
>>> the (hopefully) final release candidate tommorow.
>>
>> I've tagged 0.31~rc2, and uploaded to notmuchmail.org and debian
>> experimental.
>
> I have started seeing consistent test failures with rc2 on ppc64 and
> ppc64le:
> - on both platforms "get total messages with closed database" from
>   T568-lib-thread fails

I don't see this failure on ppc64el on Debian [0]. Perhaps there is some
toolchain difference?

> - on ppc64 "comparing existing to exported symbols" from
>   T360-symbol-hiding fails as well

This is more-or-less known [1]. The problem is that ppc64 reports
defined functions as 'D' in nm output. At least on ELF architectures,
readelf -Ws is more reliable. How many people would using readelf break
things for? Currently the test does not run on macOS, afaik.

[0]: https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=ppc64el&suite=experimental&buildd=buildd_ppc64el-ppc64el-osuosl-01
[1]: https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=notmuch&arch=ppc64&ver=0.31%7Erc2-1&stamp=1598797686&raw=0

* Re: call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-09-04 10:21       ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2020-09-04 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

Hi

> Here's a lightly edited output from git shortlog to jog your collective
> memories. Please send patches for NEWS for any non-trivial user visible
> changes.

I think I should have sent a news patch for the "unthreaded mode" addition which went into the 0.30 release (sorry about that). What is the best way to add it now?

Best wishes

Mark

* Re: call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-09-04 10:59         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-09-04 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Walters, notmuch

Mark Walters <markwalters1009@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
>> Here's a lightly edited output from git shortlog to jog your collective
>> memories. Please send patches for NEWS for any non-trivial user visible
>> changes.
>
> I think I should have sent a news patch for the "unthreaded mode"
> addition which went into the 0.30 release (sorry about that). What is
> the best way to add it now?

Maybe add it to the 0.31 NEWS with a note that the change actually
happened in 0.30. I suspect people are more likely to find it if it's in
the most recent release NEWS.

* Re: Last call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-09-07  7:42               ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2020-09-07  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>>
>> I have started seeing consistent test failures with rc2 on ppc64 and
>> ppc64le:
>> - on both platforms "get total messages with closed database" from
>>   T568-lib-thread fails
>
> I don't see this failure on ppc64el on Debian [0]. Perhaps there is some
> toolchain difference?

This specific issue has now disappeared on both ppc64 and ppc64el, so I
guess it was just some toolchain breakage that got fixed in the meantime.

>> - on ppc64 "comparing existing to exported symbols" from
>>   T360-symbol-hiding fails as well
>
> This is more-or-less known [1]. The problem is that ppc64 reports
> defined functions as 'D' in nm output. At least on ELF architectures,
> readelf -Ws is more reliable. How many people would using readelf break
> things for? Currently the test does not run on macOS, afaik.

So it is ok if I just skip this test on ppc64? Or can anything be done
about this (I must admit that I have relatively little insight into
this)?

Cheers,

Dan

@ 2020-09-07  7:45               ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2020-09-07  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

@ 2020-09-07 11:23                 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-09-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák; +Cc: notmuch

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> - on ppc64 "comparing existing to exported symbols" from
>>>   T360-symbol-hiding fails as well
>>
>> This is more-or-less known [1]. The problem is that ppc64 reports
>> defined functions as 'D' in nm output. At least on ELF architectures,
>> readelf -Ws is more reliable. How many people would using readelf break
>> things for? Currently the test does not run on macOS, afaik.
>
> So it is ok if I just skip this test on ppc64? Or can anything be done
> about this (I must admit that I have relatively little insight into
> this)?

I'd say it's OK to skip it for now. Hopefully we will fix it for the
next release; I didn't want to make the switch to readelf in the late
stages of a release.

* Re: Last call for NEWS entries for 0.31
@ 2020-09-08  7:53                 ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2020-09-08  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>>>
>>> I have started seeing consistent test failures with rc2 on ppc64 and
>>> ppc64le:
>>> - on both platforms "get total messages with closed database" from
>>>   T568-lib-thread fails
>>
>> I don't see this failure on ppc64el on Debian [0]. Perhaps there is some
>> toolchain difference?
>
> This specific issue has now disappeared on both ppc64 and ppc64el, so I
> guess it was just some toolchain breakage that got fixed in the
> meantime.

I was wrong, "get total messages with closed database" from
T568-lib-thread still fails sometimes on ppc64, but unfortunately not
consistently. It appears to mostly fail on a worker with relatively
little memory (3584 MB vs 8192 MB or 11264MB). I'll try to keep an eye
out on that hoping to find some indicator what could be wrong.

Cheers,

Dan

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* test failures on ppc64
@ 2020-09-08 11:52                   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-09-08 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák; +Cc: notmuch

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:

> I was wrong, "get total messages with closed database" from
> T568-lib-thread still fails sometimes on ppc64, but unfortunately not
> consistently. It appears to mostly fail on a worker with relatively
> little memory (3584 MB vs 8192 MB or 11264MB). I'll try to keep an eye
> out on that hoping to find some indicator what could be wrong.

If you have an interactive ppc64 machine (I'm guessing not, but someone
might), it would be interesting to run something like

cd test && count=0 && while ./T568-lib-thread.sh; do
   count=$((count + 1));
   echo $count
done

And see if the test is just flaky, and fails after some number of
repetitions.

FWIW, it passes 150 times on amd64.

I guess another thing to try would be serialize the test suite on the
low memory machines (set NOTMUCH_TEST_SERIALIZE to some non-empty value,
or remove 'parallel' from the path