* lastmod based on date/time
@ 2022-08-01  9:52 Al Haji-Ali
From: Al Haji-Ali @ 2022-08-01  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Would it be possible to search for lastmod messages based on time rather than revision ID?
Using revision ID is convenient for tools/scripts, but not for actual everyday use.

I sometimes find myself needing to find a message that I accidentally archived/moved and it would be convenient if I can list all the messages that I modified (tag or otherwise) in the past day for example. I currently use the current value of revision ID minus a few hundreds as a proxy for time.

If there's no way of doing this currently, is the time of modification saved in the database but is inaccessible through the current interface?

Best regards,
-- Al

* Re: lastmod based on date/time
@ 2022-08-01 10:54 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2022-08-01 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Haji-Ali, notmuch

Al Haji-Ali <abdo.haji.ali@gmail.com> writes:

> Would it be possible to search for lastmod messages based on time
> rather than revision ID?  Using revision ID is convenient for
> tools/scripts, but not for actual everyday use.

The modification time is not saved in the database.

> I sometimes find myself needing to find a message that I accidentally
> archived/moved and it would be convenient if I can list all the
> messages that I modified (tag or otherwise) in the past day for
> example. I currently use the current value of revision ID minus a few
> hundreds as a proxy for time.

A workaround could be to run a cron job or equivalent that logs
(lastmod,timestamp) pairs to a file. Of course that would make using the
information a bit inconvenient without further tooling.

Because of concerns about performance, we have so far resisted having a
"tagging hook".  'lastmod:' was added at some point because it addressed
some of the usecases for a tagging hook.

At the time (2014) we chose the counter approach over timestamps because
of the difficulty of synchronizing clocks between machines and the
possibility of clock changes on a given machine [1]. In principle
modification timestamps could be added as additional data for each
message. I'm not sure about the cost/benefit here (either for
implementation or performance) but if someone wants to investigate
further I can point them in the right direction (mostly, copy the
lastmod stuff).

[1]: I think most of the discussion is in the thread
https://nmbug.notmuchmail.org/nmweb/show/1396800683-9164-1-git-send-email-eg%40gaute.vetsj.com