On Wed 2020-01-15 09:59:14 +1100, Brian May wrote: > Daniel Kahn Gillmor writes: > >> So i'm proposing "notmuch purge", which could be something as simple as >> the equivalent of: > > I can't help think it will only be a matter of time before somebody > mistypes the search spec and accidentally deletes all their mail... > > Of course, this won't be a drama, because said user will revert to > up-to-date backup, created just before manually entering risky command, > right? ;-) I agree that's a risk, which is why (further downthread) i am finding myself liking the idea of omitting the search terms argument entirely, in favor of a very rigid interface that allows only "notmuch purge" (no arguments or options). in id:87ftghiskv.fsf@fifthhorseman.net, i wrote: >> [with the rigid interface], there's less of a need to think >> about providing the user with a warning if they ask to do something >> really crazy like "notmuch purge '*'" would that satisfy your fears? --dkg