* semi-usable notmuch-gtk client
@ 2009-11-27 17:58 Baruch Even
From: Baruch Even @ 2009-11-27 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

I added a quick hack to show a message thread in notmuch-gtk and this
makes it semi-usable. I don't actually parse the reply of notmuch-show
but it's already passably usable to read mail.

Baruch

* Re: semi-usable notmuch-gtk client
@ 2009-11-28  3:14 ` Bart Trojanowski
From: Bart Trojanowski @ 2009-11-28  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baruch Even; +Cc: notmuch

* Baruch Even <baruch@ev-en.org> [091127 12:58]:
> I added a quick hack to show a message thread in notmuch-gtk and this
> makes it semi-usable. I don't actually parse the reply of notmuch-show
> but it's already passably usable to read mail.

got screenshots?

Cheers,
-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

* Re: semi-usable notmuch-gtk client
@ 2009-11-28  7:58   ` Baruch Even
From: Baruch Even @ 2009-11-28  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Trojanowski; +Cc: notmuch

Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> * Baruch Even <baruch@ev-en.org> [091127 12:58]:
>> I added a quick hack to show a message thread in notmuch-gtk and this
>> makes it semi-usable. I don't actually parse the reply of notmuch-show
>> but it's already passably usable to read mail.
>
> got screenshots?

I created them now at http://baruch.github.com/notmuch-gtk

They are not pretty and not meant to be, I'm currently just tracing out
the client to get it somewhat functional as a mail client. The niceties
will come once I actually get to use it as properly.

@ 2009-12-07 11:12 ` Aneesh Kumar K. V
From: Aneesh Kumar K. V @ 2009-12-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baruch Even, notmuch

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:58:38 +0200, Baruch Even <baruch@ev-en.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added a quick hack to show a message thread in notmuch-gtk and this
> makes it semi-usable. I don't actually parse the reply of notmuch-show
> but it's already passably usable to read mail.

While discussing notmuch with some of the gnome developers they pointed
me to http://live.gnome.org/Anjal/ . The interface is suited to the way
notmuch displays threads. So i guess it would really cool if we can get
anjal to use nomuch as one of the backend.

That should also make sure you get a working mailclient in gtk with
minimal changes

-aneesh

* Re: semi-usable notmuch-gtk client
@ 2009-12-07 17:57   ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2009-12-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aneesh Kumar K. V, Baruch Even, notmuch

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:42:42 +0530, "Aneesh Kumar K. V" <aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> While discussing notmuch with some of the gnome developers they pointed
> me to http://live.gnome.org/Anjal/ . The interface is suited to the way
> notmuch displays threads. So i guess it would really cool if we can get
> anjal to use nomuch as one of the backend.
>
> That should also make sure you get a working mailclient in gtk with
> minimal changes

Thanks for mentioning this, Aneesh.

Hooking up Anjal to notmuch was an idea that Chris Wilson had almost
immediately after playing with notmuch. I think he even started poking
around in the Anjal code base to see how much work this would be.

Chris, did you make any progress worth mentioning in your
investigations?

-Carl

* Re: semi-usable notmuch-gtk client
@ 2009-12-07 20:50     ` Chris Wilson
From: Chris Wilson @ 2009-12-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Worth, Aneesh Kumar K. V, Baruch Even, notmuch

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 09:57:12 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:42:42 +0530, "Aneesh Kumar K. V" <aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > While discussing notmuch with some of the gnome developers they pointed
> > me to http://live.gnome.org/Anjal/ . The interface is suited to the way
> > notmuch displays threads. So i guess it would really cool if we can get
> > anjal to use nomuch as one of the backend.
> >
> > That should also make sure you get a working mailclient in gtk with
> > minimal changes
>
> Thanks for mentioning this, Aneesh.
>
> Hooking up Anjal to notmuch was an idea that Chris Wilson had almost
> immediately after playing with notmuch. I think he even started poking
> around in the Anjal code base to see how much work this would be.
>
> Chris, did you make any progress worth mentioning in your
> investigations?

Before being distracted again, the impression I got from reading Anjal was
that to integrate with it, you needed to understand evolution-data-server
and camel. Anjal itself seems to be a relatively thin message/folder
viewer and composer, with the details hidden behind camel. So the next
step, I felt, would be to see whether you could write a notmuch data store
for evolution.
-ickle