On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:51:57 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote: > One difference: mailcap seems to be about displaying/editing data to the > user (including, for example, opening a graphical window to display a > JPEG), whereas we need to set up a mechanism to convert whatever kind of > document we get into plain text to feed it into xapian. So we couldn't > fully piggy-back on the mailcap infrastructure, if i'm reading the > mailcap documentation correctly. notmuch would need to use its own > mime-types file. I think you're right that the mailcap is for instructing mail programs how to display non-text parts to the user. See mailcap(5) man page (at least in Debian). And we need something like: jpg2thousandwords jamie.