On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 23:54:41 -0500, Aaron Ecay wrote: > I just tried, and I cannot reproduce this behavior. IIUC, here is what > happened to you: you set nm-mua-compose-in to 'new-window. You began a > new message, this opened a new window as expected. Your emacs frame now > has two windows in it. You sent this message, which deleted the window > showing it. Your emacs frame was deleted as well, which made the other > window, showing notmuch-hello (or some other notmuch buffer, from which > you began writing the email message) disappear as well, unexpectedly. > Is this a correct description of what happened? Yes, although it happened quickly enough I'm not sure the window was deleted before the frame. > Here’s the recipe I used for replicating: > > emacs -q --daemon > emacsclient -c > C-x b *scratch* > (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/notmuch/emacs/") C-j > (load-library "notmuch") C-j > C-x C-f /path/to/notmuch/emacs/notmuch-mua.el > M-x eval-buffer (in order to pick up changes not in byte-compiled file) > M-x customize-variable notmuch-mua-compose-in (set to 'new-window, save for session) > M-x notmuch > m (new window is created in current frame, below the window showing notmuch-hello) > (type mail) > C-c C-c (enter smtp settings, since emacs doesn’t know them) > (new window disappears, the window with notmuch-hello fills whole frame) > It sounds plausible. On Debian I was a bit lazy and relied on the Debian site startup file, which I attach. Note that the setting of 'new-window seems broken to me without emacsclient as well. In this case it buries the notmuch-hello buffer that the compose window was launched from. > I also tried with notmuch-mua-compose-in set to 'new-frame, and got the > expected behavior (m -> create new frame, C-c C-c -> new frame is > deleted) Yes, that one seems fine; perhaps because deleting the frame is the desired outcome in this case. > What version of emacs did you have this problem with? 23.3.1