Hi, folks. I've been worried for a while about the fact that my notmuch mua (notmuch-emacs) does not automatically encrypt replies to encrypted messages. Recently my fears came true when I accidentally sent in the clear a reply to an encrypted message that include a full quote of the original encrypted text. This is obviously not ok, to the extent that I would like to now consider this a UI bug in notmuch-emacs. The question is how do we solve this problem. The tricky bit is that notmuch-emacs uses message-mode to compose and send messages, and mml to handle signing and encrypting, but uses the binary "reply" command to generate reply bodies. message-mode therefore does not know if the original message was encrypted or not. One proposal would be to add a switch to the reply command that would insert the mml "signencrypt" header [0] to the top of reply bodies if the message being replied to was encrypted. Something like "--mml-encrypt" or something like that. It's a fix targeted to a particular work flow/setup, but it might cover enough use cases to make it still be worthwhile. What do people think? Any other ideas for solving this issue? I note that there are other emacs tricks for dealing with encrypting messages [1], but none that I have found would solve this particular situation. jamie. [0] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/mh-e/Sending-PGP.html [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DefaultEncrypt