* Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-15 17:27 Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2021-01-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi.  I currently use OfflineIMAP on Python2.  However, I want to upgrade
Debian to bullseye, which has no security support for Python2, and
OfflineIMAP's Python3 port is very recent and I fear it is buggy.  Could
you then share your recommendation of mail fetcher for notmuch on a GNU
OS?

Regards

--
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-15 17:41 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-01-15 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, notmuch

"Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:

> Hi.  I currently use OfflineIMAP on Python2.  However, I want to upgrade
> Debian to bullseye, which has no security support for Python2, and
> OfflineIMAP's Python3 port is very recent and I fear it is buggy.  Could
> you then share your recommendation of mail fetcher for notmuch on a GNU
> OS?

I have used imap-dl (from mailscripts) and getmail6 for unidirectional
fetching.  I was happy with imap-dl, but I switched back to getmail6
because I needed non-ssl imap (for complicated reasons involving
Microsoft).

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-15 18:06   ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2021-01-15 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Em [2021-01-15 sex 13:41:50-0400], David Bremner escreveu:

> I have used imap-dl (from mailscripts) and getmail6 for unidirectional
> fetching.  I was happy with imap-dl, but I switched back to getmail6
> because I needed non-ssl imap (for complicated reasons involving
> Microsoft).

I am sorry for the basic question, but what exactly do you mean by
/unidirectional/ fetching?

I want to synchronize my account on Disroot's IMAP server with my local
Maildir.  IMAP flag changes as well as message removals and movement
between folders on one end should be synchronized with the other end.
Personal e-mail usage.

Is Getmail6 or imap-dl your recommendation for my scenario?

Regards

--

@ 2021-01-15 18:33 ` Kian Kasad
From: Kian Kasad @ 2021-01-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: notmuch

On 21/01/15 02:27PM, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
> Hi.  I currently use OfflineIMAP on Python2.  However, I want to upgrade
> Debian to bullseye, which has no security support for Python2, and
> OfflineIMAP's Python3 port is very recent and I fear it is buggy.  Could
> you then share your recommendation of mail fetcher for notmuch on a GNU
> OS?

I use and recommend the mbsync utility from the isync project:
https://isync.sourceforge.io/

It will do bidirectional syncing and is very easy to set up. I've been
using it for many months and have never had a problem with it. It only
supports Maildir as the local storage medium, and the server must be
IMAP4 compliant, however.

--
Kian Kasad
PGP 0x1715EEAA14DAEC14

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-15 19:16     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-01-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, notmuch

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:

> Em [2021-01-15 sex 13:41:50-0400], David Bremner escreveu:
>
>> I have used imap-dl (from mailscripts) and getmail6 for unidirectional
>> fetching.  I was happy with imap-dl, but I switched back to getmail6
>> because I needed non-ssl imap (for complicated reasons involving
>> Microsoft).
>
> I am sorry for the basic question, but what exactly do you mean by
> /unidirectional/ fetching?

I mean I download mail from the server and immediately delete it.

> I want to synchronize my account on Disroot's IMAP server with my local
> Maildir.  IMAP flag changes as well as message removals and movement
> between folders on one end should be synchronized with the other end.
> Personal e-mail usage.
>
> Is Getmail6 or imap-dl your recommendation for my scenario?

Probably not.

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-15 23:13 ` Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2021-01-15 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

* Jorge P. de Morais Neto:

> Could you then share your recommendation of mail fetcher for notmuch
> on a GNU OS?

If the server side uses the "maildir" format for storage (I do that with
Dovecot), you may find Muchsync (http://www.muchsync.org) interesting.
It allows synchronising both mail content and Notmuch data across
different machines. The latter feature distinguishes Muchsync from the
various IMAP sync tools.

-Ralph

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-16 12:00   ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2021-01-16 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kian Kasad; +Cc: notmuch

+1 for isync. I’m using it, too.

Great weekend everyone!

  --alex

--
www.condition-alpha.com / @c_alpha
Sent from my iPhone; apologies for brevity and autocorrect weirdness.

> On 15. Jan 2021, at 19:43, Kian Kasad <kian@kasad.com> wrote:
>
> On 21/01/15 02:27PM, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
>> Hi.  I currently use OfflineIMAP on Python2.  However, I want to upgrade
>> Debian to bullseye, which has no security support for Python2, and
>> OfflineIMAP's Python3 port is very recent and I fear it is buggy.  Could
>> you then share your recommendation of mail fetcher for notmuch on a GNU
>> OS?
>
> I use and recommend the mbsync utility from the isync project:
> https://isync.sourceforge.io/
>
> It will do bidirectional syncing and is very easy to set up. I've been
> using it for many months and have never had a problem with it. It only
> supports Maildir as the local storage medium, and the server must be
> IMAP4 compliant, however.
>
> --
> Kian Kasad
> PGP 0x1715EEAA14DAEC14

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-16 20:00   ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2021-01-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello

Em [2021-01-16 sáb 00:13:45+0100], Ralph Seichter escreveu:

> If the server side uses the "maildir" format for storage (I do that
> with Dovecot), you may find Muchsync (http://www.muchsync.org)
> interesting.  It allows synchronising both mail content and Notmuch
> data across different machines.  The latter feature distinguishes
> Muchsync from the various IMAP sync tools.

I thank you for the recommendation, but muchsync needs to be installed
also on the server, and it needs me to have SSH access to the server.
My mail server is Disroot's.  I doubt they would give that access to
someone like me, who, though using their services and contributing
monetary donations, does not participate in server administration.

See https://disroot.org/

Regards!

--
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-18 21:30       ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2021-01-18 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Jorge P. de Morais Neto, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> Em [2021-01-15 sex 13:41:50-0400], David Bremner escreveu:
>>
>>> I have used imap-dl (from mailscripts) and getmail6 for unidirectional
>>> fetching.  I was happy with imap-dl, but I switched back to getmail6
>>> because I needed non-ssl imap (for complicated reasons involving
>>> Microsoft).
>>
>> I am sorry for the basic question, but what exactly do you mean by
>> /unidirectional/ fetching?
>
> I mean I download mail from the server and immediately delete it.
>
>> I want to synchronize my account on Disroot's IMAP server with my local
>> Maildir.  IMAP flag changes as well as message removals and movement
>> between folders on one end should be synchronized with the other end.
>> Personal e-mail usage.
>>
>> Is Getmail6 or imap-dl your recommendation for my scenario?
>
> Probably not.

But why not though? imap-dl is doing a one-way fetch I think? But
Getmail6 seem to claim all sorts of features...

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-01-19 11:42         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-01-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin, Jorge P. de Morais Neto, notmuch

Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:

>>> Is Getmail6 or imap-dl your recommendation for my scenario?
>>
>> Probably not.
>
> But why not though? imap-dl is doing a one-way fetch I think? But
> Getmail6 seem to claim all sorts of features...

Let me be more precise. I have no experience using getmail6 in the way
proposed. So I don't know if it would be a good choice or not.

* Re: Please share recommendations of mail fetcher for notmuch on GNU
@ 2021-02-02  1:41   ` Mark Janes
From: Mark Janes @ 2021-02-02  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kian Kasad, Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: notmuch

Kian Kasad <kian@kasad.com> writes:

> On 21/01/15 02:27PM, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
>> Hi.  I currently use OfflineIMAP on Python2.  However, I want to upgrade
>> Debian to bullseye, which has no security support for Python2, and
>> OfflineIMAP's Python3 port is very recent and I fear it is buggy.  Could
>> you then share your recommendation of mail fetcher for notmuch on a GNU
>> OS?
>
> I use and recommend the mbsync utility from the isync project:
> https://isync.sourceforge.io/

+1 for isync.  I chose it after speaking to several users that tried
other alternatives first.

@ 2021-02-07 16:18     ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2021-02-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi.  Thank you everyone for the recommendations!  For now I decided to
keep using OfflineIMAP on Python 2, but I took note of your isync
recommendations and may switch to it in the near future.

Regards

@ 2021-02-08  9:02       ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2021-02-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

writes:

> Hi.  Thank you everyone for the recommendations!  For now I decided to
> keep using OfflineIMAP on Python 2, but I took note of your isync
> recommendations and may switch to it in the near future.

FWIW, the Python3 variant of OfflineIMAP is doing its job here: on Debian
(sid?) it has replaced the original Py2-only version.

bye, lele.
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.\r