* Multiple header sources for an index.header query prefix?
@ 2021-08-04 14:56 Keith Amidon
From: Keith Amidon @ 2021-08-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I've been a very happy user of notmuch for a very long time. Thank you
for such a great tool!

Recently I've been working on implementing a new workflow for handling
email which uses automated tagging much more heavily. In doing so, I
want to use some custom header indexes to construct some of the searches
and it seems like it would be very convenient to be able to index
multiple custom headers under the same query prefix. For example, I'd
like to be able to index both X-spam and X-Spam-Result under the query
prefix "Spam:".

I tried just adding two custom header lines to the config file with the
same query prefix, like:

header.Spam=X-Spam
header.Spam=X-Spam-Result

It appeared that after reindexing, notmuch just used the final line with
the same query prefix. In addition, the python bindings config parser
fails on such a configuration with an error that the header value is
already in use. Checking the code, it this behavior seems consistent.

I started thinking about how I would add this feature and was thinking
it might be better to support in the configuration by using semi-colon
separated values like some of the other config options. For example:

header.Spam=X-Spam;X-Spam-Result

Does this seem a reasonable way to go? Is this an extension of the
custom header indexing behavior that you would be interested in?
Finally, any suggestions for approaching an implementation? In
particular, I believe there were some recent changes to also store the
configuration in the database. Any thoughts on how this suggestion would
interact with that?

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Keith