On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:20:26 +0000, David Edmondson wrote: > Isn't it still necessary to ensure that you have encryption keys > appropriate to the recipient? I want to ensure that all replies to encrypted to be encrypted. I would rather have the reply fail outright than fall back to unencrypted. Here's a behavior that I think would be reasonable: * notmuch reply outputs JSON encrypted flag * emacs does a quick check to see if the needed key is available * if key not available: give a nice mini-buffer prompt, something like: 'encryption key for "Foo Bar " not found. Retrieve?' * if response is yes: call gpg to retrieve the key * if key available: add encrypt flag else: I feel like this should abort, but maybe there's something to be done here. Allow reply but don't quote the original? jamie.