Forgot to reply to the list.... On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:32:48 +0000, Mark Walters wrote: > Questions/thoughts and known bugs: > > Do people like the rough idea? I think it's a great idea. What I find especially nice about this, is that it works for both, just showing the structure of one thread and the traditional all-messages-matching-a-search view. I've actually rebound in notmuch-search to this and it works great so far: (defun notmuch-search-pick () "Show the selected thread with notmuch-pick" (interactive) (notmuch-pick (notmuch-search-find-thread-id) notmuch-search-query-string (notmuch-prettify-subject (notmuch-search-find-subject))) (unless (notmuch-pick-get-match) (notmuch-pick-next-message)) (notmuch-pick-show-message)) > At the moment there is some shared code with notmuch-show.el. This could > be factored out: however, while this pick mode is WIP I don't think it > is worth it. I have tried to keep the impact on the current parts of the > emacs code and the command line interface fairly small. > > I will send the patches as 3 bits: one is the command-line support > needed (i.e. changes to notmuch-show.c) one is the changes to the other > emacs files and the final one is the notmuch-pick.el file itself. > > There are some things that need fixing: some of which are marked in the > code. For example the highlighting (lowlighting?) of non-matching > messages is hard-wired gray and should be a defcustom. The tags are not > in a nice tag face and do not update automatically. There should be an > option not to use the split-screen mode. Yeah, the hardcoded "black" is also pretty annoying if one uses a black background. :) I'll send a patch fixing that later. > Anyway I am already finding it useful: show a long thread, press 'Z' to > see the thread structure nicely and then ... Yeah, that's basically my main use case, as I don't like dozens of messages of the same thread cluttering up all the search results (e.g. for tag:notmuch). Thanks for the great work David and Mark, I've really been looking forward to something that makes my half-baked attempt at thread outlining [1] obsolete. :) [1] id:"1324082126-25404-1-git-send-email-daniel@schoepe.org" Cheers, Daniel