* wish: notmuch-emacs: notmuch-poll-and-refresh-this-buffer should use progress-reporter
@ 2020-05-28 16:01 Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2020-05-28 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Dear notmuch developers,

when notmuch-poll-and-refresh-this-buffer is invoked (e.g. by hitting
"G"), the triggered operations may take some time (e.g. due to accessing
multiple IMAP accounts with mbsync). During this time, the Emacs UI is
essentially frozen.

To give the user a visual clue that something is happening in the
background, and Emacs has not crashed, it would be great if a progress
indicator could be shown. See e.g. the Elisp manual `(info "(elisp)
Progress")', or [1].

[1] https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/36926/animated-progress-indicator#answer-37041

Many thanks and looking forward to your thoughts,

  --alexander

* Re: wish: notmuch-emacs: notmuch-poll-and-refresh-this-buffer should use progress-reporter
@ 2020-05-28 22:53 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-05-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf, notmuch; +Cc: Pierre Neidhardt

Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:

> Dear notmuch developers,
>
> when notmuch-poll-and-refresh-this-buffer is invoked (e.g. by hitting
> "G"), the triggered operations may take some time (e.g. due to accessing
> multiple IMAP accounts with mbsync). During this time, the Emacs UI is
> essentially frozen.
>
> To give the user a visual clue that something is happening in the
> background, and Emacs has not crashed, it would be great if a progress
> indicator could be shown. See e.g. the Elisp manual `(info "(elisp)
> Progress")', or [1].

I don't use this functionality, but Pierre mentioned making the fetch
asynchronous, and provided a patch to try out in

      id:875zehszdp.fsf@ambrevar.xyz

Maybe working on that would be a better use of effort?

* Re: wish: notmuch-emacs: notmuch-poll-and-refresh-this-buffer should use progress-reporter
@ 2020-05-29 12:57   ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2020-05-29 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch; +Cc: Pierre Neidhardt

Hello David,

Many thanks for your swift response.

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:
>
>> [...]
>> To give the user a visual clue that something is happening in the
>> background, and Emacs has not crashed, it would be great if a progress
>> indicator could be shown. See e.g. the Elisp manual `(info "(elisp)
>> Progress")', or [1].
>
> I don't use this functionality, but Pierre mentioned making the fetch
> asynchronous, and provided a patch to try out in
>
>       id:875zehszdp.fsf@ambrevar.xyz
>
> Maybe working on that would be a better use of effort?
> [...]

I'm not subscribed to the list, so can't comment on the patch.

In any case - synchronous or asynchronous - a visual indication of the
process would seem desirable. At least to know that something is going
on, and when it's finished.

Just my two cents anyway.

Many thanks and cheers,

@ 2020-05-29 16:31     ` Pierre Neidhardt