Alexander Adolf writes: > Hello David, > > Many thanks for your swift response. > > David Bremner writes: > >> Alexander Adolf writes: >> >>> [...] >>> To give the user a visual clue that something is happening in the >>> background, and Emacs has not crashed, it would be great if a progress >>> indicator could be shown. See e.g. the Elisp manual `(info "(elisp) >>> Progress")', or [1]. >> >> I don't use this functionality, but Pierre mentioned making the fetch >> asynchronous, and provided a patch to try out in >> >> id:875zehszdp.fsf@ambrevar.xyz >> >> Maybe working on that would be a better use of effort? >> [...] > > I'm not subscribed to the list, so can't comment on the patch. You can use Gnus (:p) to navigate the list via the Gmane server and reply to any email. > In any case - synchronous or asynchronous - a visual indication of the > process would seem desirable. At least to know that something is going > on, and when it's finished. With my asynchronous suggestion, it's trivial to prompt a message on start and on finish. Then no need for a progress bar :) -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/