* Individual tag file lines and removing all tags?
@ 2024-02-11 12:07 Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2024-02-11 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Looking at the notmuch-tag(1) man page, I wonder if something like the
following tag file content is currently possible:

  -* +deleted -- folder:.Trash
  -* +ancient -- date:..10_years_ago
  +foo -- from:foo@example.com

What I am trying to achieve with lines 1 and 2 is replacing all existing
tags (symbolised by '-*') with the 'deleted' or 'ancient' tag,
respectively. With line 3, I want to add the 'foo' tag, but leaving any
existing tags untouched (this is already works, of course).

Using both --batch and --remove-all simultaneously for notmuch-tag is
not permitted, and rightly so, because the hypothetical semantics would
seem odd. The remove-all-existing-tags step would probably need to apply
to all tag file lines, which does not seem very useful to me. Does this
paragraph even make sense? ;-)

-Ralph