* problem with I-D announcements
@ 2010-08-16  9:28 Ladislav Lhotka
From: Ladislav Lhotka @ 2010-08-16  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with a specific type of messages, namely
announcements of new Internet drafts. One such message is shown below
with all headers.

In a search buffer, if I press [RET], the message is shown but the echo
line says "Couldn't find access type". The [SPC] key then doesn't work,
only "Beginning of buffer" is displayed in the echo area. Other
commands, such as adding tags, work as usual.

Is anything wrong with this message?

Thanks, Lada

From netconf-bounces@ietf.org Fri Aug 13 05:31:04 2010
From: Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: [Netconf] I-D Action:draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-11.txt
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

--NextPart

This draft is a work item of the Network Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : With-defaults capability for NETCONF
	Author(s)       : A. Bierman, B. Lengyel
	Filename        : draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-11.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2010-08-12

The NETCONF protocol defines ways to read and edit configuration data
from a NETCONF server.  In some cases, part of this data may not be
set by the NETCONF client, but rather a default value known to the
server is used instead.  In many situations the NETCONF client has a
priori knowledge about default data, so the NETCONF server does not
need to save it in a NETCONF configuration datastore or send it to
the client in a retrieval operation reply.  In other situations the
NETCONF client will need this data from the server.  Not all server
implementations treat this default data the same way.  This document
defines a capability-based extension to the NETCONF protocol that
allows the NETCONF client to identify how defaults are processed by
the server, and also defines new mechanisms for client control of
server processing of default data.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-11.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Internet-Draft.

--NextPart

--NextPart

--NextPart--

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

* Re: problem with I-D announcements
@ 2010-08-16 14:02 ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2010-08-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ladislav Lhotka, notmuch

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> I am experiencing a problem with a specific type of messages, namely
> announcements of new Internet drafts. One such message is shown below
> with all headers.
>
> In a search buffer, if I press [RET], the message is shown but the echo
> line says "Couldn't find access type". The [SPC] key then doesn't work,
> only "Beginning of buffer" is displayed in the echo area. Other
> commands, such as adding tags, work as usual.

Greetings to another czech notmuch user :-)

I can confirm the behavior you describe. It seems the error message is
generated by mm-extern-cache-contents in gnus/mm-extern.el. According to
comments in that file, it works with something called
"message/external-body". Currently, I have no clue what external-body
means but your message contains such thing.

My poor Elisp knowledge doesn't allow me to debug the problem, but you
may want to check whether the same problem appears in Gnus and if so,
consult it with Gnus developers.

Cheers,
Michal

* Re: problem with I-D announcements
@ 2010-08-16 17:44   ` Ladislav Lhotka
From: Ladislav Lhotka @ 2010-08-16 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Sojka, notmuch

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:02:59 +0200, Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> > I am experiencing a problem with a specific type of messages, namely
> > announcements of new Internet drafts. One such message is shown below
> > with all headers.
> >
> > In a search buffer, if I press [RET], the message is shown but the echo
> > line says "Couldn't find access type". The [SPC] key then doesn't work,
> > only "Beginning of buffer" is displayed in the echo area. Other
> > commands, such as adding tags, work as usual.
>
> Greetings to another czech notmuch user :-)
>
> I can confirm the behavior you describe. It seems the error message is
> generated by mm-extern-cache-contents in gnus/mm-extern.el. According to
> comments in that file, it works with something called
> "message/external-body". Currently, I have no clue what external-body
> means but your message contains such thing.

It's just a pointer to an external resource. The code in mm-extern.el
appears to know about the access type used in that message ("anon-ftp")
but somehow it's unable to figure it out from the MIME header.

> My poor Elisp knowledge doesn't allow me to debug the problem, but you
> may want to check whether the same problem appears in Gnus and if so,
> consult it with Gnus developers.

OK, I'll try it.

Thanks, Lada

--

@ 2010-08-24 12:09   ` Ladislav Lhotka
From: Ladislav Lhotka @ 2010-08-24 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Sojka, notmuch

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:02:59 +0200, Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> > I am experiencing a problem with a specific type of messages, namely
> > announcements of new Internet drafts. One such message is shown below
> > with all headers.
> >
> > In a search buffer, if I press [RET], the message is shown but the echo
> > line says "Couldn't find access type". The [SPC] key then doesn't work,
> > only "Beginning of buffer" is displayed in the echo area. Other
> > commands, such as adding tags, work as usual.
>
> Greetings to another czech notmuch user :-)
>
> I can confirm the behavior you describe. It seems the error message is
> generated by mm-extern-cache-contents in gnus/mm-extern.el. According to
> comments in that file, it works with something called
> "message/external-body". Currently, I have no clue what external-body
> means but your message contains such thing.
>
> My poor Elisp knowledge doesn't allow me to debug the problem, but you
> may want to check whether the same problem appears in Gnus and if so,
> consult it with Gnus developers.

With my faint Elisp expertise, I tried to investigate the problem a bit
and it seems it is in the notmuch elisp part. The
'mm-extern-cache-contents' function you mentioned
initializes the 'access-type' variable like this:

  (let* ((access-type (cdr (assq 'access-type
				 (cdr (mm-handle-type handle)))))

The 'handle' argument for the problematic message looks like this:
(#<buffer  *temp*> ("message/external-body") nil nil nil nil nil nil)

Now, 'mm-handle-type' function extracts the second member from 'handle',
which is ("message/external-body"). Applying 'cdr' to this list yields
necessarily nil and so access-type is always initialized to nil and
consequently the error "Couldn't find access type" is reported.

The ("message/external-body") list is constructed originally in
'notmuch-show-insert-bodypart' function and passed - as 'content-type'
argument - through several stack frames. The use of 'cdr' and 'assq'
functions in the above initialization expression however indicates that
'mm-extern-cache-contents' expects something more complex than just a
simple list.

Perhaps someone with deeper knowledge of notmuch elisp internals could
fix this bug?

Cheers, Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET