From: Marten Veldthuis <marten@veldthuis.com>
To: David Bremner <david@tethera.net>, Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org>,
	Notmuch list <notmuch@notmuchmail.org>
Subject: Re: Quick thoughts on a notmuch daemon
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:55:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:02:03 -0400, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:27:05 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org> wrote:
> It might be a bit blue sky, but if this daemon could (optionally) talk
> IMAP and translate tags into folders on the fly, this would be very
> useful for people who need imap access to their mail as well as from an
> custom notmuch client.

For me, my IMAP needs are pretty much limited to my iPhone. I'm making
do for now, but to make notmuch viable in the long term, what I'd need
is:

 * notmuch shouldn't choke on mails I had in notmuch's database, and
   then marked read or deleted on my iPhone (which renames them in the
   maildir). This is coming with the moving/deleting patches.
 * notmuch should sync back read/unread state to maildir
 * notmuch should move read stuff out of my inbox. It would be
   acceptable if it moved everything into a designated archive folder
   unless it had the 'inbox' tag assigned, in which case it moved it
   there. Note that we have the moving/deleting patches, then this could
   even be done as a script and some searches.

With this, my inbox would be usable from my iPhone.

--
- Marten