On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:57:32 +0200, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote: > Olly> Underscore prefixed identifiers are reserved by ISO C at file-scope; > Olly> using them yourself is undefined behaviour... > > Ah, thanks for reminding, I thought it was __ and _C (capital), but you are > right: > > ,---- (7.1.3 Reserved identifiers) > | All identifiers that begin with an underscore and either an uppercase letter > | or another underscore are always reserved for any use. > | > | — All identifiers that begin with an underscore are always reserved for use as > | identifiers with file scope in both the ordinary and tag name spaces. > `---- But please don't be too strict about this. Please feel very free to use any identifier with a _notmuch prefix. And really, feel free to use just about any underscore-prefixed identifier that you want that doesn't clash with anything on your system. Then if we do identify an actual clash somewhere then we can fix it. I think it was stupid of Posix to steal _ and a reserved prefix, and I really don't have a problem ignoring that. This is like I described in a recent mail---trying to prevent all portability problems just isn't worth the effort. It's much easier to fix problems that actually occur in practice. -Carl