* Distribute manual page directly?
@ 2016-04-08 18:38 Chunyang Xu
From: Chunyang Xu @ 2016-04-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I installed notmuch via Homebrew and didn't get manual page. It looks
like python-sphinx is required to produce the manual page. My question
is: can you distribute the manual page directly in the tarball? so we
don't have to install python-sphinx.

--
徐春阳

* Re: Distribute manual page directly?
@ 2016-04-09 16:28 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-04-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chunyang Xu, notmuch

Chunyang Xu <xuchunyang.me@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I installed notmuch via Homebrew and didn't get manual page. It looks
> like python-sphinx is required to produce the manual page. My question
> is: can you distribute the manual page directly in the tarball? so we
> don't have to install python-sphinx.

Hi Chunyang;

I made a note of your feature request at

  http://nmbug.notmuchmail.org/status/

No promises, but maybe somebody will work on it. It might be a bit
easier to supply a seperate tarball of generated docs, I'm not sure.

* Re: Distribute manual page directly?
@ 2021-09-24 14:17 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-09-24 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chunyang Xu, notmuch

Chunyang Xu <xuchunyang.me@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I installed notmuch via Homebrew and didn't get manual page. It looks
> like python-sphinx is required to produce the manual page. My question
> is: can you distribute the manual page directly in the tarball? so we
> don't have to install python-sphinx.

I'm not sure it helps your specific (old) request, but the documentation
for the current version, which is textually identical to the man pages,
is available online at

   https://notmuchmail.org/doc/latest/

I'm still a leary of making the source tarball diverge further from the
git repo (or committing generated files), but having a seperate docs
tarball generated as part of the release process seems like it might be
OK.