Hello, I'm running a pretty innocent notmuch query over a fairly small Maildir: "((List:debian-devel.lists.debian.org) or ... or (List:debian-haskell.lists.debian.org) or (List:debconf-discuss.lists.debian.org)) and (not path:annex/**)" but gnus-search-run-search fails to return any results. The reason is that Gnus first runs the query with --output=threads to obtain a list of thread ids, and then runs another query with --output=files and a query constructed from the output of the first query: "thread:000000000000d9d0 or thread:000000000000d9e0 or thread:000000000000d268 or ..." The resulting command fails completely: emacs: /usr/bin/notmuch: Argument list too long Instead of running two searches like this, we can just surround the whole query like this: "thread:{QUERY}". The manual says it's exactly equivalent: ... the user should think of the query thread:{} as expanding to all of the thread IDs which match ; not‐ much then performs a second search using the expanded query. This should be faster, too, with only running a single external command. Here is the patch I'm thinking I'll apply, if anyone has comments. -- Sean Whitton