On Wed 2022-11-09 09:53:26 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote: > The functionality here, switching between duplicates in the emacs > frontend, is great. I needed to use it today, because i had two copies > of an e-mail message, one with a valid signature and one with a damaged > signature. It Just Worked™ to let me switch between the different > variants. Now that i'm playing with this feature specifically, it occurs to me that the primary use case is likely to be where there are two or maybe 3 duplicates of a given message. In this use case, the emacs bindings could be a bit more ergonomic. The current binding is '%', which then prompts the user for "duplicate:" and the user is obliged to type in the number of the duplicate that they want. When i'm looking at duplicate 1/2, the obvious answer is i want 2/2. when i'm looking at 2/2, i want 1/2. The current interface, while nice and fully flexible makes me do extra work :) Here's a proposed update: - '%' on its own moves to duplicate n+1 (wrapping around from the max back to 1) - prefixed '%' (that is, 'C-u %') yields the current behavior where the user can enter which specific duplicate they want. My elisp remains rudimentary at best, so i don't know that i know how to make this fix (in particular, i'm not sure how i retrieve the current values N/M, in order to calculate mod_M(N)+1), but i'd be happy to test any patch that does this. I don't know how people feel about changing the default keybindings on a relatively recent feature -- would it be upsetting to users if the behavior of % changed in this subtle way? --dkg