On Sat, Jul 14 2012, Austin Clements wrote: > That's strange. What was the error? > > I've been testing with > (("date" . "%12s ") > ("count" . "%-7s ") > ("authors" . "%-20s ") > ("subject" . "\n%s ") > ("tags" . "(%s)")) > But maybe there are other cases it doesn't handle correctly? Hrm. The error was: error in process filter: wrong type argument: wholenump, -13 However, that's in my test emacs setup. It works fine in my normal emacs session. Lets assume this is just a problem with my setup that I'll look into. The other problem I seem to be running into is that the customize-variable interface definitely doesn't handle newlines very well. If I try to add a '\n' in the interface it gets escaped, so I end up with: ("subject" . "\\n%s ") If I add the '\n' manually in my config, notmuch-search then interprets the string correctly and adds newlines to the search results, but then the customize-variable interface interprets the newline and adds a newline the string field that kind makes the interface a little weird. Is there "proper" way to add a newline to a string value in the customize-variable interface that I'm not aware of? In any event, this is in no way a blocker for this patch series. This is all totally tangential. The patch series is great. jamie.