Vladimir Marek writes: > Hi, > > I have objections against maildir too, but I tried to tackle it from > different perspective. Store the maildir in zip file and use fuse-zip to > manage it. It works sort of but it has two major disadvantages: huh... this is fairly interesting.... one of the downsides of a million odd files for mail is that filesystem dump and restore takes a *LOT* longer than if it's just giant files on disk. Combined with afuse (fuse automounter) this could be a pretty elegant solution to the problem of storing archival Maildirs. One large archival maildir here went from 6.5GB (du -sh on XFS) to a 2.3GB ZIP archive.... that will never, ever change. Think about the performance difference between creating 560,000 files for backup/restore versus copying a single 2.3GB file. > - fuse zip stores all changes in memory until unmounted > - fuse zip (and libzip for that matter) creates new temporary file when > updating archive, which takes considerable time when the archive is > very big. This isn't much of a hastle if you have maildir per time period and archive off. Maybe if you sync flags it may be... > Of course this solution would have some disadvantages too, but for me > the advantages would win. At the moment I'm not sure if I want to > continue working on that. Maybe if there would be more interested guys I'm *really* tempted to investigate making this work for archived mail. Of course, the list of mounted file systems could get insane depending on granularity I guess... -- Stewart Smith