* configurable summary line for notmuch search
@ 2021-08-28 15:10 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-08-28 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I was idly thinking about how to provide custom summary formats for
notmuch-search. I know this has been discussed a few times on IRC, but I
can't remember the kind of things people were looking for. So if this a
feature you're interested in, what specifically are you looking for?

* Re: configurable summary line for notmuch search
@ 2021-08-28 21:30 ` Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-08-28 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

On Sat, Aug 28 2021, David Bremner wrote:

> I was idly thinking about how to provide custom summary formats for
> notmuch-search. I know this has been discussed a few times on IRC, but I
> can't remember the kind of things people were looking for. So if this a
> feature you're interested in, what specifically are you looking for?

I actually have a patch in my queue that implements a form of this, in
two ways.  By allowing the "field" to be a function that gets called with
the message property and returns a string, and by allowing the format
string to be a function that takes the value of the field and further
formats it.  This is the relevant patch with simple examples in the
documentation:

  https://jao.io/cgit/notmuch/commit/?h=tree-result-format&id=0d7d909aa8bc4fb8e5ab80f93bc397fbed666761

and this is an example of how i use it to have a marker in my result
lists that tells me if i'm the recipient of the displayed email and to
trunctate the subject to a maximum length:

      (setq notmuch-tree-result-format
            '(("date" . "%12s  ")
              ("authors" . "%-35s")
              (jao-notmuch-msg-ticks)
              ("subject" . jao-notmuch-truncate)
              ("tags" . "  (%s)")))

      (defun jao-notmuch-msg-ticks (msg)
        (let ((headers (plist-get msg :headers)))
          (cond ((string-match-p jao-mails-regexp (or (plist-get headers :To) ""))
                 (propertize " »" 'face 'notmuch-tree-match-tree-face))
                ((string-match-p jao-mails-regexp (or (plist-get headers :Cc) ""))
                 (propertize " ¬" 'face 'notmuch-tree-match-tree-face))
                (t "  "))))

      (defun jao-notmuch-truncate (x)
        (truncate-string-to-width (format "%-102s" x) 102 nil nil t))

what do you think?

cheers,
jao
--
I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun.
  -Katharine Hepburn, actress (1907-2003)

* Re: configurable summary line for notmuch search
@ 2021-08-29  0:46   ` Roger Randall
From: Roger Randall @ 2021-08-29  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz, David Bremner, notmuch

Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 28 2021, David Bremner wrote:
>
>> I was idly thinking about how to provide custom summary formats for
>> notmuch-search. I know this has been discussed a few times on IRC, but I
>> can't remember the kind of things people were looking for. So if this a
>> feature you're interested in, what specifically are you looking for?
>
> I actually have a patch in my queue that implements a form of this, in
> two ways.  By allowing the "field" to be a function that gets called with
> the message property and returns a string, and by allowing the format
> string to be a function that takes the value of the field and further
> formats it.  This is the relevant patch with simple examples in the
> documentation:
>
>   https://jao.io/cgit/notmuch/commit/?h=tree-result-format&id=0d7d909aa8bc4fb8e5ab80f93bc397fbed666761
>
> and this is an example of how i use it to have a marker in my result
> lists that tells me if i'm the recipient of the displayed email and to
> trunctate the subject to a maximum length:
>
>       (setq notmuch-tree-result-format
>             '(("date" . "%12s  ")
>               ("authors" . "%-35s")
>               (jao-notmuch-msg-ticks)
>               ("subject" . jao-notmuch-truncate)
>               ("tags" . "  (%s)")))
>
>       (defun jao-notmuch-msg-ticks (msg)
>         (let ((headers (plist-get msg :headers)))
>           (cond ((string-match-p jao-mails-regexp (or (plist-get headers :To) ""))
>                  (propertize " »" 'face 'notmuch-tree-match-tree-face))
>                 ((string-match-p jao-mails-regexp (or (plist-get headers :Cc) ""))
>                  (propertize " ¬" 'face 'notmuch-tree-match-tree-face))
>                 (t "  "))))
>
>       (defun jao-notmuch-truncate (x)
>         (truncate-string-to-width (format "%-102s" x) 102 nil nil t))
>
> what do you think?
>
> cheers,
> jao
> --
> I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun.
>   -Katharine Hepburn, actress (1907-2003)

I greatly desire the ability to limit the subject length so (in my case)
tags consistently line-up in the same column.

Along those lines, I would also like the ability to
explicitly set the order in which tags are shown in notmuch-search (as
opposed to purely alphabetical).
 - RER

* Re: configurable summary line for notmuch search
@ 2021-08-29 14:53   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-08-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz, notmuch

Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 28 2021, David Bremner wrote:
>
>> I was idly thinking about how to provide custom summary formats for
>> notmuch-search. I know this has been discussed a few times on IRC, but I
>> can't remember the kind of things people were looking for. So if this a
>> feature you're interested in, what specifically are you looking for?
>
> I actually have a patch in my queue that implements a form of this, in
> two ways.  By allowing the "field" to be a function that gets called with
> the message property and returns a string, and by allowing the format
> string to be a function that takes the value of the field and further
> formats it.  This is the relevant patch with simple examples in the
> documentation:
[snip]
> what do you think?

I was thinking of a facility available to command line users of
notmuch-search. But if the main use case is in emacs, then it would
almost certainly be easier to implement in elisp, assuming the
information is available.

* Re: configurable summary line for notmuch search
@ 2021-09-01 16:25     ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2021-09-01 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Randall, Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz, David Bremner, notmuch

Roger Randall <roger@rogerrandall.com> writes:

> [...]
> Along those lines, I would also like the ability to
> explicitly set the order in which tags are shown in notmuch-search (as
> opposed to purely alphabetical).
> [...]

I have to admit having been intrigued by this thought, too. How could
this work? I guess one could want specific tags to always be at the
start, or the end of the tags string, and perhaps in a specific order.

Implementation-wise this could be done with weights, or priorities. Each
tag gets a default weight/priority, say zero. I would then like to be
able to set up regular expressions to assign different
weights/priorities to tags matching these regexps. Tags would then be
displayed in ascending weight/priority order (i.e. negative
weights/priorities first, then zero, then positive weights/priorities).
Within the same weight/priority value, alphabetic ordering would be
used.

What if a tag matches more than one regexp? Are the weights/priorities
added up, or does the minimum weight/priority "win"?

For me, this would be interesting for Emacs only, i.e. likely best
implemented in elisp.

That said, this could - more or less - easily be done with the patch
proposed on this thread by jao. <hint>_Provided_ that it will be amended
to not only cover notmuch-tree-result-format, but also
notmuch-search-result-format.</hint> ;-)

Cheers,

  --alex

* Re: configurable summary line for notmuch search
@ 2021-09-01 18:52       ` Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-09-01 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf, Roger Randall, David Bremner, notmuch

On Wed, Sep 01 2021, Alexander Adolf wrote:

> That said, this could - more or less - easily be done with the patch
> proposed on this thread by jao. <hint>_Provided_ that it will be amended
> to not only cover notmuch-tree-result-format, but also
> notmuch-search-result-format.</hint> ;-)

fwiw, that patch already covers both variables.

jao