Hi! On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:34:28 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins wrote: > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:12:03 +0200, dtk wrote: > > in my experience, it tends to cause awkward side effects that are hard to > > debug, the main problem being that it overrides all default paths and is > > hard to target at a single problematic application. > > I think it's fairly straightforward to prepend a library path to the ld > library path without overriding all defaults with something like this > (for bash): > > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/new/ld/path:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH This is in fact not safe, and may cause subtle issues: if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty initally, it'll evaluate to: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/new/ld/path: Of this one, the last element is empty, and ld.so will thus look into the current directory for libc.so, for example. Now you cd /tmp/ and enter ls... :-) Or, as it once bit me, you're on a system with such an LD_LIBRARY_PATH set (without me knowing about it). You do glibc development, and wonder why some commands begin acting strangely when you're in the glibc build directory... Thus: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/new/ld/path${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} Grüße, Thomas