On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:00:51 +0200, Erlend Simonsen wrote: > Unfortunately, no. If I run a search for id:"messageid" within Emacs, > nothing is found. But if I search for id:messageid, I get the correct > result. Could this be an Emacs 24 issue? I am running emacs 23.3 from Debian, and I am not experiencing this issue, so it may very well be an emacs 24 issue. I would be curious to know what is going on. I wonder if the call-process function is automatically trying to shell-escape strings in 24? jamie.