Hi A concern for notmuch is some form of attack via someone sending a message with a duplicate message id. I think I have seen it asserted that it is not so much of a problem as the first message received by notmuch will have priority. However, I believe that this is not the case. The script below gives a demonstration (on my system at least). I have written it as a "test" so (I hope) it doesn't mess up the system. It should work if you put it in the test directory and execute it. It adds a message, runs notmuch new, adds a message with the same id, runs notmuch new, and then runs notmuch search and notmuch show . The former shows the subject of the first message, and the latter the subject of the second message. Best wishes Mark