On Sat 2020-05-02 20:11:09 -0400, Radu Butoi wrote: > This uses the standard Emacs function `split-window-sensibly` to split a > window horizontally or vertically depending on space when opening a > message in tree view. By default, split-width-threshold is 160 columns > (and -height- is nil), so screens wider than 160 will be split > horizontally. > > This is based on an older proposal [1] which manually did the > calculation of width. The main issues there were (1) lack of > configurability and (2) lack of testing. I don't have an answer for > testing, but this allows users to configure two thresholds using > built-in variables, an improvement. I like this proposal, and the simplification that it gives to the notmuch-emacs codebase. However, this thread is the first place i've learned about split-window-sensibly, so i'm probably not eligible to really judge the merits here. As far as testing goes, a test would be nice -- is this something you could add to test/T460-emacs-tree.sh ? Testing UI/UX issues is always pretty tough though, and it's not clear to me that we're actually already testing the existing "(/ (window-height) 4)" business anyway. --dkg