On Tue, Jan 29 2013, Jani Nikula wrote: > Hi all, the goal here is to add support for --config=FILE option at the > notmuch top level (e.g. 'notmuch --config=FILE search foo'). In order to > achieve this neatly, I ended up moving config open/close to main() from > subcommands. This isn't a bad thing, because all notmuch commands opened > the config file anyway. Hi, Jani. I appreciate you've put a lot of work into this series, but I'll be the same devil's advocate that I was to David previously. Why do we need a command line option here when we already have an environment variable that handles just this? Is there some benefit to having a command line option for this that I don't see? I see this as another instance of an option that regular users will rarely use, if ever. In general, I am a strong advocate of keeping the CLI slim. IMHO, adding more options makes the interface clunkier, and the manual harder to parse, and I'm against adding things that a normal user would likely never use. In retrospect, I should have had the same objection to the --format-version option, which I think could have just been an env var as well. jamie.