On Sun, Oct 25 2015, Tomi Ollila wrote: > I, if this does not sound nitpicking, would amend those 'This patch' and > 'With this patch' texts in commit messages away by some rewording -- those > pose as a bad example for someone reading the code -- and diminish the > effect when I complain that again in future patched ;) What's the motivation here? It's often the case that a good commit message needs to describe the way things were working prior to a commit, (describing the bug or missing feature or what have you), and also needs to describe the change that is affected by the commit itself. So I actually like seeing commit messages that say things like: Prior to this commit... (some bug existed...) In this commit... (some code is reworked to fix the bug...) But maybe I've missed the point of your message. -Carl