* Inconsistent folder search results
@ 2022-11-29 11:19 mailbox
From: mailbox @ 2022-11-29 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello all,
New notmuch convert here.
I want to find all emails in the INBOX folder for one of my maildir offline email accounts.

I'm running :
notmuch search --output=files --format=text folder:user@domain/INBOX

For this query I get results mixed in from user@domain/Sent folder in addition to expected results from the INBOX folder.

For similar query to a different otheruser@otherdomain/INBOX folder I also get results mixed in from various different folders.

Can you advise?

Thank you!

Yevgen

* Re: Inconsistent folder search results
@ 2022-11-29 15:44 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2022-11-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailbox, notmuch

mailbox@z01d.net writes:

> I'm running :
> notmuch search --output=files --format=text folder:user@domain/INBOX
>
> For this query I get results mixed in from user@domain/Sent folder in addition to expected results from the INBOX folder.
>
> For similar query to a different otheruser@otherdomain/INBOX folder I also get results mixed in from various different folders.

Does the answer

     https://notmuchmail.org/faq/#index1h2

help?

* Re: Inconsistent folder search results
@ 2022-11-30 13:06 ` mailbox
From: mailbox @ 2022-11-30 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

November 29, 2022 5:44 PM, "David Bremner" <david@tethera.net> wrote:

> mailbox@z01d.net writes:
>
>> I'm running :
>> notmuch search --output=files --format=text folder:user@domain/INBOX
>>
>> For this query I get results mixed in from user@domain/Sent folder in addition to expected results
>> from the INBOX folder.
>>
>> For similar query to a different otheruser@otherdomain/INBOX folder I also get results mixed in
>> from various different folders.
>
> Does the answer
>
> https://notmuchmail.org/faq/#index1h2
>
> help?

Thank you, David! I don't quite understand the logic behind this behavior, but for my purposes I will just grep the notmuch output go the limit the results to the target folder.