On 09/10/2013 06:35 PM, Austin Clements wrote: > I haven't looked at exactly what workarounds this enables, but if it's > what I'm guessing (RFC 2047 escapes in the middle of RFC 2822 text > tokens), are there really subject lines that this will misinterpret > that weren't obviously crafted to break the workaround? not to get all meta, but i imagine subject lines that refer an example of this particular issue (e.g. when talking about RFC 2047) will break ;) I'm trying one variant here. > The RFC 2047 > escape sequence was deliberately designed to be obscure, since RFC > 2047 itself caused previously "standards-compliant" subject lines to > potentially be interpreted differently. right, and it was designed explicitly to put the boundary markers atword boundaries, and not in the middle of a word (i think that's what this is all about, right?). so implementations which put the boundary markers in the middle of a word, or which include whitespace within the encoded text, aren't speaking RFC 2047. anyway, if there's a rough consensus to go forward with this, i'm not about to block it. I understand that a large part of the business of being an MUA is working around other people's bugs instead of expecting them to fix them :/ I just don't like mis-rendering other text. --dkg