On 08/30/2011 02:22 AM, Jason Woofenden wrote: >> [...] >> >> [textconverters] >> application/pdf=pdf2txt /dev/stdin > > Sounds awesome. I'd love the feature, and this sounds like a good > way to do it. Or maybe we should use a mailcap file like mutt > does... it has some useful features like nametemplate and maybe > test. hm, interesting suggestion. I don't know enough about mailcap to know whether it makes more sense to adopt it directly or to use a notmuch-specific configuration. One difference: mailcap seems to be about displaying/editing data to the user (including, for example, opening a graphical window to display a JPEG), whereas we need to set up a mechanism to convert whatever kind of document we get into plain text to feed it into xapian. So we couldn't fully piggy-back on the mailcap infrastructure, if i'm reading the mailcap documentation correctly. notmuch would need to use its own mime-types file. Anyone with more experience with this stuff (or stronger opinions) have any insight on what approach makes more sense? > I as a user can decide that I'd like to run `abiword -t txt` on > application/msword and application/rtf mime parts. If there's a > security issue with abiword that someone can exploit by sending me > an e-mail, then FML, but at least I won't be mad at the notmuch > developers. exactly :) --dkg