On 11/16/2010 08:38 AM, Jameson Rollins wrote: > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:33:30 +0200, "Ciprian Dorin, Craciun" wrote: >> So my question is: is this behaviour (of deleting the file and >> creating a new one) deliberate? If not, could it be fixed (I could >> provide a patch) to just update the file in place? > > Hi, Ciprian. I had not noticed this, but now that you mention it, I see > that the same thing happened to me. This behavior is surely not > deliberate, and is definitely undesirable. A patch would be welcome. It often is desirable to do a replacement instead of truncation or appending -- atomic replacement guarantees that a legitimate copy is always available. It eliminates a window of time when the config file would be in an intermediate state. Readers of the file always get either the old state or the new state -- nothing in between. However, you can address both concerns by detecting whether ~/.notmuch-config is a symlink and readlink()ing until you get to the underlying file. Then atomically replace the target instead of the symlink itself. --dkg