* A gtk interface
@ 2009-11-26 19:17 Baruch Even
From: Baruch Even @ 2009-11-26 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

I've started to work on a Gtk+ interface to notmuch which uses the
notmuch command line. Currently it is able to search threads and retag
them. Next on the agenda is the ability to actually read the threads.

If someone is interested, the code lives in
http://github.com/baruch/notmuch-gtk and can be checked out from
git://github.com/baruch/notmuch-gtk.git

The recent streaming changes made things smoother. Though tagging is
excessively slow if done on a thread-by-thread basis as I implemented it
now.

Baruch

* Re: A gtk interface
@ 2009-11-26 20:25 ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2009-11-26 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baruch Even, notmuch

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:17:33 +0200, Baruch Even <baruch@ev-en.org> wrote:
> I've started to work on a Gtk+ interface to notmuch which uses the
> notmuch command line. Currently it is able to search threads and retag
> them. Next on the agenda is the ability to actually read the threads.
>
> If someone is interested, the code lives in
> http://github.com/baruch/notmuch-gtk and can be checked out from
> git://github.com/baruch/notmuch-gtk.git

Very interesting, Baruch!

Thanks for contributing this!

I thought at first that the tagging commands weren't working, but
quickly realized they were working but simply weren't updating the view
to show the added/removed tags.

Anyway, it will be very interesting to watch this stuff.

-Carl

PS. I prefer a default search of "tag:inbox" rather than "tag:inbox and
tag:unread". Otherwise, there's not much reason for "notmuch new" to add
both tags.

* Re: A gtk interface
@ 2009-11-26 21:40   ` Baruch Even
From: Baruch Even @ 2009-11-26 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Worth; +Cc: notmuch

Carl Worth wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:17:33 +0200, Baruch Even <baruch@ev-en.org> wrote:
>> I've started to work on a Gtk+ interface to notmuch which uses the
>> notmuch command line. Currently it is able to search threads and retag
>> them. Next on the agenda is the ability to actually read the threads.
>>
>> If someone is interested, the code lives in
>> http://github.com/baruch/notmuch-gtk and can be checked out from
>> git://github.com/baruch/notmuch-gtk.git
>
> Very interesting, Baruch!
>
> Thanks for contributing this!
>
> I thought at first that the tagging commands weren't working, but
> quickly realized they were working but simply weren't updating the view
> to show the added/removed tags.

Yes. The UI has a lot of rough edges, the search needs to be cancelable,
it needs to indicate that it's in progress and I also need to implement
some logic to update the threads that were retagged. But I'm more
interested in fleshing out the rest of the app to make it somewhat
useful to me so I can start to really make use of it.

> PS. I prefer a default search of "tag:inbox" rather than "tag:inbox and
> tag:unread". Otherwise, there's not much reason for "notmuch new" to add
> both tags.

It was like that initially, I didn't even have a good reason to change
it as I didn't have the ability to change tags. I'll probably change it
back.

Baruch