* Consider following XDG base directory specification
@ 2022-10-24  9:09 Dario
From: Dario @ 2022-10-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I apologize in advance if the issue has already been raised by somebody else
but I couldn't find anything on the bug tracker and furthermore I'm one of
those freaks who prefer a de-cluttered home directory. ;-)

Instead of saving config file in $HOME/.notmuch-config,
${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/notmuch}/notmuch-config (notmuchrc is a nice name too)
should be used for unix-based operating systems according to the XDG Base Directory Specification.

As well as keeping the home directory clean, the semantic separation of config,
runtime data, cache data and user-local software by the spec is helpful to users
and other tools (e.g. backup software).

In terms of migration, I would suggest using the xdg-compilant config location
if it exists and falling back to the current default location.

I know someone could decide to run notmuch with the --config switch in order to read from a
different configuration file but I feel the XDG base directory specification is a nice default behavior.

* Re: Consider following XDG base directory specification
@ 2022-10-24 11:21 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2022-10-24 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario, notmuch

Dario <piombo.dario@gmail.com> writes:

> I apologize in advance if the issue has already been raised by somebody else
> but I couldn't find anything on the bug tracker and furthermore I'm one of
> those freaks who prefer a de-cluttered home directory. ;-)
>
> Instead of saving config file in $HOME/.notmuch-config,
> ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/notmuch}/notmuch-config (notmuchrc is a nice name too)
> should be used for unix-based operating systems according to the XDG Base Directory Specification.

See

    https://notmuchmail.org/doc/latest/man1/notmuch-config.html#configuration

> As well as keeping the home directory clean, the semantic separation of config,
> runtime data, cache data and user-local software by the spec is helpful to users
> and other tools (e.g. backup software).
>
> In terms of migration, I would suggest using the xdg-compilant config location
> if it exists and falling back to the current default location.

The priority of configurations is unlikely to change at this point. Too
much potential for breakage for too little gain.

* Re: Consider following XDG base directory specification
@ 2022-10-24 13:39   ` Dario
From: Dario @ 2022-10-24 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

Thanks for replying thank you very much for pointing me in the right
direction. I guess I didn't RTFM properly. Environment variables are
good enough for me.
Keep up the good work.