Quoting David Bremner : > Jeff Elliott writes: > >> [Wed Sep 22 15:49:36 2021] >> A caller requested output format version 5, but the installed notmuch >> CLI only supports up to format version 4.  You may need to upgrade your >> notmuch CLI. >> >> When I try to upgrade my notmuch from the Solus package manager, I get >> that it is already updated. > > Yep, this is exactly the problem mentioned in the README on melpa (which > I'm guessing is where you installed notmuch from). You need to use a > version of the notmuch CLI that is as new as as your version of > notmuch-emacs, or an older version of notmuch-emacs. Normally I would > recommend using the notmuch-emacs package from your distro, but I > couldn't figure out if it exists in solus. > > If you have the appropriate version of the source, then "make elpa" will > create package you can install in emacs > >    M-x package-install-file >    notmuch-0.31.4.tar > should work. If you're stuck, I can make such an elpa package for you. Thanks. I guess I'm still stuck.  I downloaded version 31.4 from: https://notmuchmail.org/releases/ But when I select "notmuch-0.31.4.tar" for the package-install-file, I get an error:  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil Would it not make sense to upgrade notmuch to 0.33.1 ?  Which I guess I would have to do from source, which I haven't done before...