* [ANN] notmuch-vim 0.7 released
@ 2021-07-08  4:21 Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2021-07-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vim, notmuch

Hello,

notmuch-vim is a fully-functional mail user agent implemented in vim.
It uses as inspiration other text-based MUAs such as mutt and sup, but
it's better because it uses two amazing programs: vim and notmuch.

It by itself doesn't do much, following the UNIX philosophy you need
other tools to do anything useful: mbsync or offlineimap to fetch mail,
notmuch to index it, and sendmail or msmtp to send it, etc.

Here's an example recorded session:
https://asciinema.org/a/oo4yUOQDDF2CrWZbzhZURFtTW

For installation instructions and the works, check the GitHub repo:
https://github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim

I stopped working on it in 2014, but I'm back.

Enjoy.

     4  Aaron Borden
    27  Felipe Contreras
     1  Franz Fellner
     1  John Gliksberg
     1  Jules Aguillon

--
Felipe Contreras

* Re: [ANN] notmuch-vim 0.7 released
@ 2021-07-08  5:51 ` Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2021-07-08  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Contreras; +Cc: notmuch

* Felipe Contreras:

> https://github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim
>
> I stopped working on it in 2014, but I'm back.

Welcome back. This is an interesting plugin for sure. I'd like to
package notmuch-vim for Gentoo Linux, but I have not been able to find
information about licensing. Could you please add a LICENSE file to your
Git repository?

-Ralph

* Re: [ANN] notmuch-vim 0.7 released
@ 2021-07-09 17:50 ` Steve Litt
From: Steve Litt @ 2021-07-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Contreras; +Cc: vim, notmuch

Felipe Contreras said on Wed, 07 Jul 2021 23:21:42 -0500

>Hello,
>
>notmuch-vim is a fully-functional mail user agent implemented in vim.
>It uses as inspiration other text-based MUAs such as mutt and sup, but
>it's better because it uses two amazing programs: vim and notmuch.
>
>It by itself doesn't do much, following the UNIX philosophy you need
>other tools to do anything useful: mbsync or offlineimap to fetch mail,
>notmuch to index it, and sendmail or msmtp to send it, etc.
>
>Here's an example recorded session:
>https://asciinema.org/a/oo4yUOQDDF2CrWZbzhZURFtTW
>
>For installation instructions and the works, check the GitHub repo:
>https://github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim
>
>I stopped working on it in 2014, but I'm back.

I've been looking to change email clients from Claws-Mail to something
a little lighter. A couple questions about notmuch-vim...

* If I use it with my local dovecot IMAP server, can I configure
  notmuch-vim to not delete messages I read, and only delete messages I
  explicitly delete from within notmuch-vim?

* When people send me HTML email, as they always do, is there something
  I can attach to notmuch-vim in order to format that HTML email as
  something readable, that shows links where they're supposed to be?
  (NOTE: I never SEND HTML email, so I'm only asking about receiving).

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt

* Re: [ANN] notmuch-vim 0.7 released
@ 2021-07-10  0:10   ` Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2021-07-10  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Litt; +Cc: vim, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras said on Wed, 07 Jul 2021 23:21:42 -0500

> >notmuch-vim is a fully-functional mail user agent implemented in vim.
> >It uses as inspiration other text-based MUAs such as mutt and sup, but
> >it's better because it uses two amazing programs: vim and notmuch.
> >
> >It by itself doesn't do much, following the UNIX philosophy you need
> >other tools to do anything useful: mbsync or offlineimap to fetch mail,
> >notmuch to index it, and sendmail or msmtp to send it, etc.
> >
> >Here's an example recorded session:
> >https://asciinema.org/a/oo4yUOQDDF2CrWZbzhZURFtTW
> >
> >For installation instructions and the works, check the GitHub repo:
> >https://github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim
> >
> >I stopped working on it in 2014, but I'm back.
>
> I've been looking to change email clients from Claws-Mail to something
> a little lighter. A couple questions about notmuch-vim...
>
> * If I use it with my local dovecot IMAP server, can I configure
>   notmuch-vim to not delete messages I read, and only delete messages I
>   explicitly delete from within notmuch-vim?

notmuch-vim doesn't really delete anything, tags are used to specify
what messages you want to see. If you search for "tag:unread", you'll
see messages that you haven't read, and once you mark a message as
read you won't see it in that view, but the message is still there
(similar to Gmail).

You can add a keymap to mark some messages as "deleted", and then
configure notmuch to exclude those messages from all the views, but
still, the messages are not really deleted, they just have the
"deleted" tag.

Furthermore you can synchronize some tags to Maildir flags, and
although at some point the "deleted" tag was synchronized to the
Trashed flag, that's not happening right now (although I think it
should).

So in short tags are mostly orthogonal to anything else.

> * When people send me HTML email, as they always do, is there something
>   I can attach to notmuch-vim in order to format that HTML email as
>   something readable, that shows links where they're supposed to be?
>   (NOTE: I never SEND HTML email, so I'm only asking about receiving).

By default notmuch-vim uses "elinks -dump" to convert HTML email to
plain text, but you can configure any program you want.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

--

@ 2021-07-10  0:32   ` Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2021-07-10  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Contreras, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 12:51 AM Ralph Seichter <ralph@ml.seichter.de> wrote:

> * Felipe Contreras:
>
> > https://github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim
> >
> > I stopped working on it in 2014, but I'm back.
>
> Welcome back. This is an interesting plugin for sure. I'd like to
> package notmuch-vim for Gentoo Linux, but I have not been able to find
> information about licensing. Could you please add a LICENSE file to your
> Git repository?

Sure. It's the same license as notmuch, since it's packaged in notmuch
too, but done.

--
Felipe Contreras