On Sb, 22 nov 14, 10:44:45, David Bremner wrote: > Edward Betts writes: > > > > I wonder if 'notmuch insert' could be modified to detect and drop the From_ > > line before writing the message to disk and index it. It could do that > > silently or with a warning. > > I don't know about the larger question(s), but I'd suggest just escaping > it to something like X-Envelope-From: . There may even be some > semi-standard header to use for this. I had the same problem with postfix + maildrop, as local(8) unconditionally adds the 'From ' header when delivering to an external command and upstream did not consider my suggestion to make this configurable. The work-arounds I came up with: 1. use 'reformail -f0' as suggested in maildrop(1) reformail(1): -f0 Any initial blank lines are removed. If the first non-blank line is a "From_" line, it gets converted to a "Return-Path:" header, and any existing "Return-Path:" header gets removed. If the message does not start with a "From_" line, the message remains unchanged. 2. adjust the 'maildrop' destination in postfix' master.cf to remove the 'F' flag. pipe(8): F Prepend a "From sender time_stamp" envelope header to the message content. This is expected by, for example, UUCP software. 3. Deliver from postfix to a Maildir, bypassing any filtering. Kind regards, Andrei -- If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein) http://nuvreauspam.ro/gpg-transition.txt