On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 05:27:34PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote: > Tomi Ollila wrote: > > On Sun, May 11 2014, Felipe Contreras wrote: > > > > > Xīcò wrote: > > >> Since zlib is part of the base system, FreeBSD chose not to register it > > >> in pkg-config through zlib.pc. As a fallback test, configure will build > > >> and run a zlib version check and make sure the header and library > > >> versions are compatible. > > > > > > We could try to generate our on zlib.pc, this way the configure script > > > would be cleaner. > > > > But for that we'd need to figure out the version, and is there simpler > > robust way to do that some other way ? > > I don't meant to change the code that is checking for the version in the > patch, you use the same code, but instead of have_zlib.c gen_zlib_pc.c, > or something. > [please cc me in replies; I am not subscribed to the list] I think that the additional complexity outweighs the benefit of a somewhat cleaner build script. If the $vz1, $vz2, et al. are what's bothering you, perhaps we could push the complexity of version comparison into have_zlib.c and supply the (string) version number as an argument to the program. The have_zlib program could do the comparison and exit accordingly, and plain old "1.2.5.2" can take its place in the configure script once more. However, I don't see any problems with the patch as it is; I have tested it on FreeBSD 10.0 and it works. Regards, Fraser > -- > Felipe Contreras