From: Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke@googlemail.com>
To: Daniel <quite@hack.org>,  notmuch@notmuchmail.org
Subject: Re: Replacing my name/email with "me" (or similar) in author lists
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:22:10 +0000	[thread overview]

Quoting Daniel (2012-02-25 16:34:15)
From what I understand, at least the Python bindings deliver primarily author
>names (not addresses),

To clarify, `notmuch.Thread.get_authors` returns a comma separated list of the
realname parts of all From-headers that occur in messages of this thread.

> so it would seem more appropriate that this be done in the backend.
I agree. I personally think this is a nice feature to have in all
user interfaces to notmuch and therefore it makes sense to implement it once
in the lib. Also because ~/.notmuch-config already contains a list of my addresses
and therefore should have all information needed.

Implementing this feature for alot in python is easily doable, by constructing
the authors list from the messages From headers directly, comparing
the address part with all known own addresses.
We will do so if the response here is all too negative or nobody is brave enough to
step forward and touch the lib in this respect.

If I'm not mistaken, the lib extracts the authors name from the From-header
of a message, which is indexed. Somewhere around line 248 in thread.cc,
this string is added to a list of names.

Cheers,
/p