also sprach martin f krafft [2010.03.16.1900 +0100]: > I use ext4 with data=ordered, and while notmuch is writing the > Xapian database, most I/O stalls on the machine: > > - Firefox does not get any mouse events > - Vim blocks writing the viminfo file > - All disk operations queue for multiple seconds. > > So no, ext4 is not a solution. Is it just me, or should no > filesystem of this world be able to hog a system this badly? I think > the culprit is the IO-scheduler. I just wanted to send a little update on this. Even though the Linux I/O scheduler performs abysmally during the Xapian database updates, I can report two improvements, at least to my situation: 1. The 3.0 kernel seems to be better, but I did not quantify this in any way, and I might just as well be wrong. 2. http://bugs.debian.org/635768 explains the (also I/O-related) lockups we've seen. Micah offered the tip that the actual fault lies with the awesome WM. Cheers, -- martin | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/ "writing a book about debian is like hitting a moving target with a champagne bottle cork." -- arky spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net