* notmuch synchronization
@ 2010-10-05 20:48 Ethan Glasser-Camp
From: Ethan Glasser-Camp @ 2010-10-05 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I recently got interested in notmuch again and I wanted to see what the
current situation is with regard to synchronization -- specifically
multiple machines each running notmuch, but also notmuch with other
non-notmuch clients. As far as I can tell, this is "possible" but not
easy or clean:

- the message at
http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/002957.html starts a
thread about exactly this subject. This seems like the most promising
approach (using unison to sync mail across all machines, and using
notmuch dump and notmuch restore to propagate the tag database), but I'm
a little scared by the note that:

> Well, only one place where you mark things unread as well with this
> approach. Otherwise updating the database in two places and attempting
> to sync will lead to an unmergable conflict, won't it?

But if I'm understanding things correctly, it should be OK if you mark
unread one place, notmuch dump, restore in the second place, and then
mark something else unread, right? Otherwise you don't have true
disconnected operation, which seems to be to lose tho whole point.

- There's a large number of patches from Michal Sojka, the latest from
April 2010, about an abstract mailstore interface, towards using Git as
an object store; Git has really nice distributed properties, in that
each clone offers fully disconnected operation, and that you can sync
any one against any other one, so something like that sounds pretty
awesome. Unfortunately, Michal wrote that "I do not want this to be
merged yet, but there might be some people interested in testing this.".
Is there any news with these patches? Are they something that could
potentially be merged? At a high level, what kind of behavior do they
implement?

(The most recent thread on this subject was at:
http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/002119.html)

Ethan

* Re: notmuch synchronization
@ 2010-10-05 23:42 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2010-10-05 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Glasser-Camp, notmuch

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:48:36 -0400, Ethan Glasser-Camp <glasse@cs.rpi.edu> wrote:
> - the message at
> http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/002957.html starts a
> thread about exactly this subject. This seems like the most promising
> approach (using unison to sync mail across all machines, and using
> notmuch dump and notmuch restore to propagate the tag database), but I'm
> a little scared by the note that:

> [deleted]

I don't know about that particular thread, but a few brave souls (well,
maybe just two of us) are using the script at

http://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/?p=notmuch-scripts.git;a=blob_plain;f=scripts/gitmuch

It doesn't use unison, but I suppose you could to sync the messages (if
you really wanted to). The tags are kept in a git repo and dumped and
restored to there.  This definitely is too slow sufficiently large
mailstores/slow machines, but it works for me with about 120k messages
on reasonably current desktops.

No one claims this a great solution, but it works now.

* Re: notmuch synchronization
@ 2010-10-06  6:12 ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2010-10-06  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Glasser-Camp, notmuch

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010, Ethan Glasser-Camp wrote:
> I recently got interested in notmuch again and I wanted to see what the
> current situation is with regard to synchronization -- specifically
> multiple machines each running notmuch, but also notmuch with other
> non-notmuch clients. As far as I can tell, this is "possible" but not
> easy or clean:

> - There's a large number of patches from Michal Sojka, the latest from
> April 2010, about an abstract mailstore interface, towards using Git as
> an object store; Git has really nice distributed properties, in that
> Is there any news with these patches?

Hi Ethan,

unfortunately, there is not much news. I only separate from these
patches the part which synchronizes notmuch tags with maildir flags
(unread, replied, etc.) [1]. It works pretty well and I use it to
synchronize my mails with IMAP server. I think that these pathes are
ready to be merged.

What regards using git to store mails and synchronize tags, I still have
plans to work in this area, but currently I have more important work to
do. However, for me is the lack of synchronization quite painfull, so
this will definitely be the next work I'll do on notmuch.

-Michal

Footnotes:
[1]  http://mid.gmane.org/1273580061-22580-1-git-send-email-sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz

* Re: notmuch synchronization
@ 2010-10-06  7:36   ` Sebastian Spaeth
From: Sebastian Spaeth @ 2010-10-06  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On 2010-10-06, Michal Sojka wrote:
> unfortunately, there is not much news. I only separate from these
> patches the part which synchronizes notmuch tags with maildir flags
> (unread, replied, etc.) [1]. It works pretty well and I use it to
> synchronize my mails with IMAP server. I think that these pathes are
> ready to be merged.

+10 for merging (some of) the maildir flag/notmuch tag patches. I really wan to
see that functionality in notmuch. I have reverted to vanilla notmuch
and I'm missing that functionality.

Sebastian

* Re: notmuch synchronization
@ 2010-10-07  8:51     ` Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2010-10-07  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Spaeth; +Cc: notmuch

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian@sspaeth.de> wrote:
> On 2010-10-06, Michal Sojka wrote:
>> unfortunately, there is not much news. I only separate from these
>> patches the part which synchronizes notmuch tags with maildir flags
>> (unread, replied, etc.) [1]. It works pretty well and I use it to
>> synchronize my mails with IMAP server. I think that these pathes are
>> ready to be merged.
>
> +10 for merging (some of) the maildir flag/notmuch tag patches. I really wan to
> see that functionality in notmuch. I have reverted to vanilla notmuch
> and I'm missing that functionality.

I don't see much happening in the main repo, perhaps we should start a
notmuch-next branch or something on gitorious?

--
Felipe Contreras

* Re: notmuch synchronization
@ 2010-10-07 19:57       ` Dirk Hohndel
From: Dirk Hohndel @ 2010-10-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Contreras; +Cc: notmuch

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:51:14AM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian@sspaeth.de> wrote:
> > On 2010-10-06, Michal Sojka wrote:
> >> unfortunately, there is not much news. I only separate from these
> >> patches the part which synchronizes notmuch tags with maildir flags
> >> (unread, replied, etc.) [1]. It works pretty well and I use it to
> >> synchronize my mails with IMAP server. I think that these pathes are
> >> ready to be merged.
> >
> > +10 for merging (some of) the maildir flag/notmuch tag patches. I really wan to
> > see that functionality in notmuch. I have reverted to vanilla notmuch
> > and I'm missing that functionality.
>
> I don't see much happening in the main repo, perhaps we should start a
> notmuch-next branch or something on gitorious?

A few people had their own patches / their own trees at some stage of
the project. Maybe having a shared notmuch-next tree somewhere that
cworth can pull from would be a good idea...

It certainly should make things easier for him as he follows his "one
day a week on notmuch" schedule.

/D