* thread sorting ideas
@ 2010-06-21 16:03 Dirk Hohndel
From: Dirk Hohndel @ 2010-06-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Here is a feature that I could really use some times...

Instead of sorting the threads based on the date of the first message in
the thread, sort them based on the newest message in the thread. So if I
take a quick look at the bottom (I am an "oldest first" kinda person) of
a search and I see all the threads that have the newest messages.

My suggestion would be to turn 'o' into a two key command:

o-o : oldest first, sort by oldest message in thread
o-O : oldest first, sort by newest message in thread
o-n : newest first, sort by oldest message in thread
o-N : newest first, sort by newest message in thread
o-s : sort by subject?
o-z : unthreaded, sort by message size?

you can come up with many more sort ideas...

/D

--
Dirk Hohndel
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* Re: thread sorting ideas
@ 2010-06-21 16:55 ` Jameson Rollins
From: Jameson Rollins @ 2010-06-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Hohndel, notmuch

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:03:40 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel@infradead.org> wrote:
> Here is a feature that I could really use some times...
>
> Instead of sorting the threads based on the date of the first message in
> the thread, sort them based on the newest message in the thread. So if I
> take a quick look at the bottom (I am an "oldest first" kinda person) of
> a search and I see all the threads that have the newest messages.
>
> My suggestion would be to turn 'o' into a two key command:
>
> o-o : oldest first, sort by oldest message in thread
> o-O : oldest first, sort by newest message in thread
> o-n : newest first, sort by oldest message in thread
> o-N : newest first, sort by newest message in thread
> o-s : sort by subject?
> o-z : unthreaded, sort by message size?
>
> you can come up with many more sort ideas...

I too would really like to see threads sorted by the newest message in
the thread when sorting oldest first.  In fact, it seems to me that
messages should *always* be sorted by the newest message in the thread.
But I can accept that others might prefer different sortings, in which
case your sorting suggestions seem abundantly reasonable to me, Dirk.

jamie.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: thread sorting ideas
@ 2010-06-23  7:25 ` Tim Stoakes
From: Tim Stoakes @ 2010-06-23  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Hohndel; +Cc: notmuch

Dirk Hohndel(hohndel@infradead.org)@210610-09:03:
> Here is a feature that I could really use some times...
>
> Instead of sorting the threads based on the date of the first message in
> the thread, sort them based on the newest message in the thread. So if I
> take a quick look at the bottom (I am an "oldest first" kinda person) of
> a search and I see all the threads that have the newest messages.

Indeed, this would be akin to mutt's:
 set sort=threads
 set sort_aux=last-date
I think. Indispensable!