also sprach Aneesh Kumar K. V [2010.03.16.1810 +0100]: > Ext3 fsync related issue is a know problem due to the way journalling is > handled in ext3. The solution for that would be data=writeback ( with > its loss of data integrity ) or not yet upstreamed data=guarded. Another > option would be to try ext4 which should not be impacted that badly by > the data=ordered journalled mode I use ext4 with data=ordered, and while notmuch is writing the Xapian database, most I/O stalls on the machine: - Firefox does not get any mouse events - Vim blocks writing the viminfo file - All disk operations queue for multiple seconds. So no, ext4 is not a solution. Is it just me, or should no filesystem of this world be able to hog a system this badly? I think the culprit is the IO-scheduler. -- martin | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/ "vulgarity is simply the conduct of other people." -- oscar wilde spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net