* Debian packaging
@ 2009-11-29 13:55 Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2009-11-29 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: notmuch

Hi, folks.  I know there isn't even a proper release yet, but I
couldn't help myself so I started to put together some notmuch Debian
packaging [0].  It's built around using git-buildpackage, and I've
posted what I have to the "debian" branch in my notmuch git repo:

  git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~jrollins/notmuch

To build the package you need a branch named "upstream" which tracks
upstream, and a version tag of this branch (currently I'm assuming the
version number is "0.0").  Once you have those, you can run the
following command in the debian branch:

  git buildpackage -us -uc --git-ignore-new

The resulting package also currently installs the notmuch emacsen.  It
might be worth considering if the emacsen should be broken out into a
separate package (ie. maybe all the notmuch interfaces should separate
packages?).  The emacsen installation is new to me, so it's possible I
didn't get it right.  You currently have to do a

  load-library notmuch

when you start emacs.

As much as I would love to, at this point I'm not quite offering to
actually be maintainer of a notmuch Debian package.  I don't quite
have the bandwidth at the moment to deal with what is surely to be a
very popular package (eg. bug reports).  I wouldn't mind being on a
maintainer team, though.  I'm certainly happy to maintain all the
packaging for the mean time, though.  If nothing else, I'm posting
what I have in case someone else wants to run with it.

Please let me know if there are any questions, comments, patches, etc.

jamie.

[0] I noticed that David Bremner filled a RFP for notmuch a little
while ago: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557354

* Re: Debian packaging
@ 2009-11-29 17:16 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2009-11-29 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins; +Cc: notmuch

Jameson Graef Rollins wrote:

>Please let me know if there are any questions, comments, patches, etc.

>jamie.

>[0] I noticed that David Bremner filled a RFP for notmuch a little
>while ago: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557354

I should have mentioned on the RFP, but I have also made a debian package at

  http://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/?p=notmuch.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian

We should combine efforts somehow I guess.  One option would be to
make a combined repo on alioth.debian.org in the collab-maint project.

* Re: Debian packaging
@ 2009-11-29 18:06 ` Bdale Garbee
From: Bdale Garbee @ 2009-11-29 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins; +Cc: notmuch

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 08:55 -0500, Jameson Graef Rollins wrote:

> As much as I would love to, at this point I'm not quite offering to
> actually be maintainer of a notmuch Debian package.

Actually, since Carl is a DD now, I've already nudged him about
maintaining a Debian package, and offered to help.  Perhaps your work
will provide additional motivation.  ;-)

FWIW, it's entirely possible to configure git-buildpackage to package
directly from the master branch.  I do that with AltOS, details can be
found in the fw/altos repo on git.gag.com if you're curious.  There are
various ways you could do this, but I've put a hook in .gbp.conf that
invokes a new debian/rules 'prebuild' target...  This allows me to just
run 'git-buildpackage' any time we want fresh packages, and get a Debian
changelog crafted from the git commit logs since the last time I built a
Debian package.

Bdale

* Re: Debian packaging
@ 2009-11-29 18:25   ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2009-11-29 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 01:16:57PM -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> I should have mentioned on the RFP, but I have also made a debian package at
>
>   http://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/?p=notmuch.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian

Hey, David.  I should have know someone else would have already put
something together.

> We should combine efforts somehow I guess.  One option would be to
> make a combined repo on alioth.debian.org in the collab-maint project.

I'm happy to combine efforts.  Seems to me the most appropriate thing
to do, since we're already working in git, is to track each others
"debian" branches.  Is this the canonical URL of your repo?:

http://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/notmuch.git

jamie.

* Re: Debian packaging
@ 2009-11-29 18:30   ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2009-11-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bdale Garbee; +Cc: notmuch

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 11:06:34AM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Actually, since Carl is a DD now, I've already nudged him about
> maintaining a Debian package, and offered to help.  Perhaps your work
> will provide additional motivation.  ;-)

Yeah, I realized that Carl and Keith are I think both DDs, but as
someone else pointed out to me, they've probably already got their
hands full as it is.  In any rate, building the packaging was mostly
for my own elucidation (I have never used git-buildpackage before),
and to prompt getting it into debian sooner.

> FWIW, it's entirely possible to configure git-buildpackage to package
> directly from the master branch.  I do that with AltOS, details can be
> found in the fw/altos repo on git.gag.com if you're curious.  There are
> various ways you could do this, but I've put a hook in .gbp.conf that
> invokes a new debian/rules 'prebuild' target...  This allows me to just
> run 'git-buildpackage' any time we want fresh packages, and get a Debian
> changelog crafted from the git commit logs since the last time I built a
> Debian package.

What I put together does build almost directly from the master
branch.  I just renamed my master "upstream".  I did create a separate
changelog, mostly because I like having more direct control over what
goes in them, but I'm curious about how changelogs would be crafted
from the git logs.

jamie.

* Re: Debian packaging
@ 2009-11-30  0:10     ` david
From: david @ 2009-11-30  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins; +Cc: notmuch

Jameson Graef Rollins wrote:

>I'm happy to combine efforts.  Seems to me the most appropriate thing
>to do, since we're already working in git, is to track each others
>"debian" branches.  Is this the canonical URL of your repo?:

>http://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/notmuch.git

That should work, but git://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/notmuch.git, should be
faster (at least since I fixed the firewall!).

* Re: Debian packaging
@ 2009-12-01  7:44   ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2009-12-01  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bdale Garbee, Jameson Graef Rollins; +Cc: notmuch