* notmuch vim support
@ 2009-11-21 18:39 Bart Trojanowski
From: Bart Trojanowski @ 2009-11-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi list,

I've spent a few days on porting notmuch.el to vim.  It's not as feature
rich as notmuch.el yet, but it's coming along nicely.  The results of my
work are here:

        git://git.jukie.net/notmuch.git (on the vim branch)
        http://git.jukie.net/notmuch.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/vim

There are some screenshots in my blog:

        http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/notmuch.vim

List of supported features are in the README:

        http://git.jukie.net/notmuch.git?a=blob;f=vim/README;hb=refs/heads/vim

I'd love for this to be included in the official project, but I am not
sure if you'd prefer to merge at this point or wait will I am done.
Naturally, if anyone is interested I'd love some help.

Cheers,

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

* Re: notmuch vim support
@ 2009-11-21 19:06 ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2009-11-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello.

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 13:39, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> I've spent a few days on porting notmuch.el to vim.  It's not as feature
> rich as notmuch.el yet, but it's coming along nicely.  The results of my
> work are here:

Great stuff! I hoped for someone stepping up early to provide alternative
interfaces.

> I'd love for this to be included in the official project, but I am not
> sure if you'd prefer to merge at this point or wait will I am done.

IMHO it would be best to do the development inside the main tree. You could use
branches there too and it would be easier to find and test. And as notmuch is
still under heavy development its not a problem that the vim interface is as
well.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: notmuch vim support
@ 2009-11-21 19:14   ` Bart Trojanowski
From: Bart Trojanowski @ 2009-11-21 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: notmuch

* Stefan Schmidt <stefan@datenfreihafen.org> [091121 14:06]:
> IMHO it would be best to do the development inside the main tree. You could use
> branches there too and it would be easier to find and test. And as notmuch is
> still under heavy development its not a problem that the vim interface is as
> well.

Perfect.  How would you like to proceed with the initial integration?
Pulling my tree, or me squashing all the changes into a single patch?
Also, are you OK with where the files live (ie under a vim directory).

After that, do you want me to submit patches by email, via pull
requests, or giving me push access to a branch at your repo?

BTW, have you considered using github or gitorious so branch management
becomes a distributed problem?

Cheers,
-Bart

--

@ 2009-11-21 19:38     ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2009-11-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Trojanowski; +Cc: notmuch

Hello.

[Resend, first one missed the list]

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 14:14, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> * Stefan Schmidt <stefan@datenfreihafen.org> [091121 14:06]:
> > IMHO it would be best to do the development inside the main tree. You could use
> > branches there too and it would be easier to find and test. And as notmuch is
> > still under heavy development its not a problem that the vim interface is as
> > well.
>
> Perfect.  How would you like to proceed with the initial integration?
> Pulling my tree, or me squashing all the changes into a single patch?
> Also, are you OK with where the files live (ie under a vim directory).

Just started to use it. Its Carls trun to decide such things. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: notmuch vim support
@ 2009-11-21 20:14 ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2009-11-21 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Trojanowski, notmuch

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:39:09 -0500, Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> wrote:
> I've spent a few days on porting notmuch.el to vim.  It's not as feature
> rich as notmuch.el yet, but it's coming along nicely.  The results of my
> work are here:

Oh, hey! That's fantastic. I didn't expect to see a second notmuch
interface so soon.

> There are some screenshots in my blog:
>
>         http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/notmuch.vim

It looks nice. I'm watching Chris Wilson play with it now, (in spite of
the fact that Chris sent patches already---he wasn't actually using
notmuch until he saw this vim interface appear).

I'm actually surprised as to how faithfully it replicates the notmuch.el
experience. And some of that includes misfeatures that I just hadn't
figured out how to do better, (like the global toggling of signature
visibility).

So, well done!

I think the only thing we noticed is that "filter" doesn't add the "and"
between the old and new search terms. But Chris may have more to comment
soon.

> I'd love for this to be included in the official project, but I am not
> sure if you'd prefer to merge at this point or wait will I am done.
> Naturally, if anyone is interested I'd love some help.

Let's definitely merge it into the repository. As things are changing
quickly now, it will be nice to be able to update both interfaces in
concert. (Like with my patch that changes --max-threads to --max, etc.)

I don't know how realistic it will be to keep both interfaces totally
synchronized in terms of look-and-feel, colors, keybindings, etc. But it
might be nice to do that as much as possible. I think it would be
helpful if we could have interface discussions as an entire community
and not split based on choice of editor.

-Carl

* Re: notmuch vim support
@ 2009-11-21 20:20     ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2009-11-21 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Trojanowski, Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: notmuch

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:14:02 -0500, Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> wrote:
> Perfect.  How would you like to proceed with the initial integration?
> Pulling my tree, or me squashing all the changes into a single patch?
> Also, are you OK with where the files live (ie under a vim directory).

I'm glad to pull (it will be nice for you to have the accurate
history). And a vim directory sounds perfect.

Or should we do interfaces/emacs and interfaces/vim ? I don't know.

> After that, do you want me to submit patches by email, via pull
> requests, or giving me push access to a branch at your repo?

Email or pull requests are fine. You're clearly the "owner" of the vim
stuff, so don't expect any refusals to pull from me. (And feel free to
ping me out of band if you don't want to clutter the list with pull
requests---but it's more likely that you'll want to let people on the
list know about changes anyway.)

> BTW, have you considered using github or gitorious so branch management
> becomes a distributed problem?

I don't see any advantage to have the main notmuch repository
there. We've already got a server with a nice name. The nice thing about
git, of course, is that branches and repositories can be distributed
arbitrarily and there's no problem.

-Carl

* Re: notmuch vim support
@ 2009-11-22  4:29   ` Bart Trojanowski
From: Bart Trojanowski @ 2009-11-22  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Worth; +Cc: notmuch

* Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org> [091121 15:14]:
> So, well done!

Thank you.

> I think the only thing we noticed is that "filter" doesn't add the "and"
> between the old and new search terms. But Chris may have more to comment
> soon.

I think I fixed that along the way.  I'll verify.

> I don't know how realistic it will be to keep both interfaces totally
> synchronized in terms of look-and-feel, colors, keybindings, etc. But it
> might be nice to do that as much as possible. I think it would be
> helpful if we could have interface discussions as an entire community
> and not split based on choice of editor.

Perfect.

-Bart

--

@ 2009-11-22  4:31       ` Bart Trojanowski
From: Bart Trojanowski @ 2009-11-22  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Worth; +Cc: notmuch

* Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org> [091121 15:20]:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:14:02 -0500, Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> wrote:
> > Perfect.  How would you like to proceed with the initial integration?
> > Pulling my tree, or me squashing all the changes into a single patch?
> > Also, are you OK with where the files live (ie under a vim directory).
>
> I'm glad to pull (it will be nice for you to have the accurate
> history). And a vim directory sounds perfect.

Indeed.

> Or should we do interfaces/emacs and interfaces/vim ? I don't know.

I don't really have a preference.  As long as 'make install' at the top
doesn't install both/either blindly.

> Email or pull requests are fine. You're clearly the "owner" of the vim
> stuff, so don't expect any refusals to pull from me. (And feel free to
> ping me out of band if you don't want to clutter the list with pull
> requests---but it's more likely that you'll want to let people on the
> list know about changes anyway.)

Great.  Thanks.  I'll keep the list informed.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/